How Do I Save My Kernel Configuration As The Default Settings?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Save My Kernel Configuration As The Default Settings?

Jump to solution
freewaymad
Contributor IV

Hi,

How do I save my kernel configuration as the default settings? I use this:

$ make menuconfig

I save the settings when asked, but how do I make them the default settings so I don't have to keep going back and setting it all up again? When I build a kernel the settings are saved, but when I build a boot.img or do a:

$ make distclean

the settings revert back to what they were originally. What am I missing? Please help.

Thanks,

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
1 Solution
freewaymad
Contributor IV

Problem Solved!!

I went through the process of setting up to build a kernel. I then entered the following commands:

$ make distclean

$ make imx6_android_defconfig

$ make menuconfig

After getting all my settings the way I wanted them, instead of exiting all the way to the "save settings yes or no", I exited to the main or home screen and hit the

"Save an Alternate Configuration File". Then I named the file. This was saved in the "kernel_imx" directory (by default). I went into the kernel_imx/arch/arm/configs folder and renamed the "imx6_defconfig" and "imx6_android_defconfig" files to "original_ imx6_defconfig" and "original_imx6_android_defconfig" (to keep the originals). I then took the Alternate Configuration file in the kernel_imx directory and copied the contents and created my own "imx6_defconfig" and "imx6_android_defconfig" files in the kernel_imx/arch/arm/configs folder. Now my settings are saved as the default settings (unless I go through this process again). I now can build a "rom" or a "boot.img". I can do a:

$ make distclean

and then:

I do not have to use the:

$ make menuconfig

to reset my settings.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
freewaymad
Contributor IV

Problem Solved!!

I went through the process of setting up to build a kernel. I then entered the following commands:

$ make distclean

$ make menuconfig

After getting all my settings the way I wanted them, instead of exiting all the way to the "save settings yes or no", I exited to the main or home screen and hit the

"Save an Alternate Configuration File". Then I named the file. This was saved in the "kernel_imx" directory (by default). I went into the kernel_imx/arch/arm/configs folder and renamed the "imx6_defconfig" and "imx6_android_defconfig" files to "original_ imx6_defconfig" and "original_imx6_android_defconfig" (to keep the originals). I then took the Alternate Configuration file in the kernel_imx directory and copied the contents and created my own "imx6_defconfig" and "imx6_android_defconfig" files in the kernel_imx/arch/arm/configs folder. Now my settings are saved as the default settings (unless I go through this process again). I now can build a "rom" or a "boot.img". I can do a:

$ make distclean

and then:

I do not have to use the:

$ make menuconfig

to reset my settings.

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Thank you very much for sharing your findings with the community! I'm sure they will be of help to other users!

0 Kudos