Having problems with HelloWorld tutorial

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having problems with HelloWorld tutorial

jverive
Contributor III

I'm running KDS with CygWin GCC, and running into problems with the HelloWorld tutorial. When I try to build the project, I get this as console output:

14:42:39 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project HelloWorld ****

make all

make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

14:42:39 Build Finished (took 172ms)

Is there another file I need to download and install in the CygWin installation? I downloaded and installed gcc, gdb, and make, just like the instructions told me to do. I'd really like to make it through the tutorial before I start banging my head on other issues. This is frustrating, though I think I'm making progress!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies

schmikeee
Contributor III

I am having a similar issue with no Build due to main.o not getting created.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Just curious: KDS comes with its own toolchain, no need for Cygwin at all. And it comes with gdb, gcc, make too, again no need for Cygwin.

0 Kudos

jverive
Contributor III

I tried both default toolkits (Cross GCC and Microsoft Virtual C++). Cross GCC wants me to provide Cross compiler prefix and cross compiler path, both of which I don't know how to find, and Microsoft Virtual C++ gives me

Error: Program "VL" not found in PATH

during build. Thought I'd give Cygwin a try. Any help at this point is appreciated.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jeff,

I think you are not using the correct toolchain. Have you created your project with File > New > Kinetis Design Studio Project?

pastedImage_0.png

Erich

jverive
Contributor III

No, I was following the "Create a simple application" HelloWorld tutorial in the KDS Help contents, which says to do File>New>Project, then select C++ wizard "Hello World C++ Project", where you select a toolchain.

So now following your suggestion, I can create a new empty C project. I do get a warning

Invalid project path: Include path not found (C:\Freescale\KDSK_1.0.0\rtos).

but I'm not concerned because it's just a warning and I'm not doing any RTOS operations.

I put a simple program into main.c:

/* Hello World program */

#include<stdio.h>

main()

{

printf("Hello World");

}

Project>Build Project works fine, but Project>Build All gives error in Console view (after "make all" is invoked):

make: Nothing to be done for all

Consequently, main.o doesn't get created, so there is nothing to run. What am I doing wrong? I just want a simple program to run, so I can build on it.

0 Kudos