Is there a way to create a new project that is set up for FRDM-KL05?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to create a new project that is set up for FRDM-KL05?

Jump to solution
danreltek
Contributor III

Hi,

I have a FRDM-KL05Z and I've downloaded an evaluation version of CodeWarrior. During download I only ticked the box for Kinetis Family. I'd like to know if there is a template/package/add-in/whatever available for CodeWarrior such that when I begin a new project, I get FRDM-KL05Z as an option.

If such a product is available, could you please tell me where to get it and how to install it?

Thanks

Dan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dan,

what you are looking for is kind of a 'board example project'? This is not something you get directly. You either could creaete a project with the device on the FRDM-KL05Z, or to import an existing example project. I have example projects (not many for KL05Z) here:

https://github.com/ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse/tree/master/Examples/FRDM-KL05Z

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dan,

what you are looking for is kind of a 'board example project'? This is not something you get directly. You either could creaete a project with the device on the FRDM-KL05Z, or to import an existing example project. I have example projects (not many for KL05Z) here:

https://github.com/ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse/tree/master/Examples/FRDM-KL05Z

Erich

0 Kudos
danreltek
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

I had some limited success with using a sample project. I will make a post regarding the problems.

But first I want to try your sample projects and I was wondering if there is an easy way to obtain them. There doesn’t seem to be a download option at github.

Do have to use “save target as ...” for each file?

Thanks

Dan Bovill

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, there is a better way, although somehow hidden on GitHub.

If you go to the root of the repository (ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse · GitHub), on the right lower side there is a 'download zip' button, which downloads you everything in a zip file (direct link: https://github.com/ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse/archive/master.zip)

I hope that helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
danreltek
Contributor III

Thanks Erich,

Unfortunately I couldn’t build these due to problems with finding includes.

My problem I think, is not understanding how to create a simple project in CodeWarrior. From scanning other posts I see that I’m not alone.

I was successful in importing and building the LED_Blink project supplied by freescale. The downloaded program functioned as expected.

Then I tried to recreate the project from scratch but using the supplied source code in all cases.

These are the steps I took in my attempt to recreate the LED_Blink Project from scratch.

Commander: New MCU Project

Project Name: My_LED_Blink_01 (created in C:\Users\Dan\workspace)

Devices: Kinetis L Series | KL0x Family | KL05Z (48 MHz) Family | MKL05Z32 - with Project Type / Output = Application

Connections: P&E USB MultiLink Universal / USB MultiLink = checked; and

OpenSDA = checked

Language and

Build Tools

Options: Language = C; and

Floating Point = Software; and

I/O Support = No I/O; and

Arm Build Tools = GCC

Rapid

Application

Development: Rapid Application Development = None; and

Start with perspective designed for = Use current perspective (CW Installed default)

Finish

Then

Menu Bar | Project | Properties

Under C/C++ Build | Settings | Additional Tools: Create Flash Image = Checked

The resulting main program:

/*

• main implementation: use this 'C' sample to create your own application

*/

#include "derivative.h" /* include peripheral declarations */

int main(void)

{

int counter = 0;

for(;;) {

counter++;

}

return 0;

}

After building, a .hex file is produced and I plug my FRDM-KL05Z board into the USB port of my computer.

Small green LED is on and stable. Windows Explorer opens in drive FRDM_KL05Z (F:)

SDA_INFO appears normal.

When I drag n drop My_LED_Blink_01.hex to the drive FRDM-KL05Z it programs as usual. Then the green led signals "program error" with 8 fast flashes followed by 2 seconds off.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Question 1: Why isn't it simply doing nothing?

??????????????????????????????????????????????

I assumed that there needed to be other header files included for setting up cpu config, reset vector, ram and stack etc. so I decided to use the LED_Blink project files copied the following lines from LED_Blink.c to My_LED_Blink_01.c

#include "common.h"

#include "freedom_gpio.h"

#include "spi.h"

#ifdef CMSIS

#include "start.h"

#endif

#if(defined(CW))

#include "sysinit.h"

#endif

This generated the expected file-not-found errors, so I set to work.

Long story short:

Recreated demo folder structure under "Sources" folder.

Linked all of the same support files as linked in the demo

Copied LED_Blink.c to My_LED_Blink_01.c

Under Project Settings | C/C++ Build | ARM Ltd Windows GCC C Compiler | Directories I set the Include paths thus:

"$/Project_Headers" "$/Project_Settings/Startup_Code"

"$/ARM_GCC_Support/ewl/EWL_C/include" "$/ARM_GCC_Support/ewl/EWL_Runtime/include"

"$/../../../src/platforms" "$//../../../src/drivers/uart"

"$//../../../src/drivers/rtc" "$//../../../src/drivers/mcg"

"$//../../../src/drivers/rcm" "$//../../../src/drivers/spi"

"$//../../../src/cpu" "$//../../../src/cpu/headers"

"$//../../../src/common" "$//../../../src/projects/kl05_frdm_demo/freedom_gpio"

I made and unmade various other adjustments here and there with the result that the build halts with anywhere from 13 errors to 250 errors and 6 warnings.

The obstinate errors that never changed included:

C:/Users/src/common/common.h:51:4: error: #error "No valid platform defined"

C:/Users/src/common/common.h:64:4: error: #error "No valid CPU defined"

In the "Console" tab these are also the first 2 lines to be highlighted.

???????????????????????????????

Question 2: What have I missed?

???????????????????????????????

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Request 1: I would be very grateful for a list of steps that create the LED_Blink project from scratch.

Request 2: I would be additionally grateful for instructions that expand the program such that it transmits "Hello World" out of the serial port.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Once I have the project at this stage, I think I will be able to learn a lot faster.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Do you have the correct firmware loaded on your board?

I have:

pastedImage_0.png

Erich

0 Kudos
danreltek
Contributor III

I’ve added to my last post. I tried to update firmware. My boards are no longer working.

Thanks

Dan

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dan:

Please check all the suggestions provided by Erich in this article:

FRDM Board not responding? Check your Virus Scanner! | MCU on Eclipse

You can try updating BOOTLOADER or loading applications to "FRDM-KL05Z (F:)" using the COPY command from cmd shell.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos
danreltek
Contributor III

I have:

Board Name is: FRDM-KL05Z

MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.03

Bootloader Version is: 1.05

Installed Application: PEMicro FRDM-KL05Z Mass Storage App

Application Version is: 1.05

I have no problem loading and running the supplied LED_Blink or the KL05_frdm_demo .

Uh Oh ... It seems I spoke too soon.

I have 3 FRDM-KL05Z Boards. 2 have been connected to a PC and now have the same problem. I'm not willing to connect the third until I find out what is wrong with the first 2. Here are their version details.

Unit 1: I'd upgraded firmware as per instructions last week.

pastedImage_1.png

Unit 2:

pastedImage_0.png

Behavior:

When plugged into USB port, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" appeared and searched for and found drivers. This is odd because they were already installed a week ago.

For both units:

Then Windows Explorer opens the drive "FRDM-KL05Z (F:)"

LASTSTAT.TXT contains the word "Ready"

Small green LED on and steady.

When I drop any program file onto it, it appears to program, then I get the program error sequence.

When I enter Bootloader mode, Windows Explorer opens the drive "BOOTLOADER (F:)" as expected.

Small green LED flashing regularly at 1 Hz.

LASTSTAT.TXT contains the word "Ready"

When I drag and drop BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA to the drive Unit 1 seems to ignore it (maybe because already updated?) while

Unit 2 seems to program, then goes into "Program Error". Unplug and plug. Bootloader version is unchanged.

I attempted to load MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KL05Z_Pemicro_v114.SDA into both units but get "Program Error".

What has happened to my boards?

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dan:

As Erich mentions, CodeWarrior new project wizard does not include boards (e.g. FRDM boards). You need to select the specific MCU derivative (File -> New -> Bareboard Project -> Project Name -> Device -> ... ):

KL05_Wizard.png

A couple of examples are provided for KL05 in the KL05_SC package under "Lab and Test Software" in the next link:

Freescale Freedom Development Platform for th|Freescale

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez