I2C bus question on the MPC8544 (acting as a slave).

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C bus question on the MPC8544 (acting as a slave).

thornekontos
Contributor II

I am trying to read data from the I2C bus with the MPC8544 acting as a slave.

I write 0x7e to the I2CADR (offset 0x000), 0x55 to the I2CDR (offset 0x010), and 0x81 to the I2CCR (offset 0x008).

If this is not the proper pseudo-assembly code sequence to set up the MPC8544 as a slave with addr 0x7e, what am I missing?

When I try a read using the SDA (I2C bus), I do not get out any data.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are trying to set the device to be slave receiving mode? Are you expecting to receive a data addressed to 0x7e or broadcast? Are you observing SDA bus by oscilloscope or you are checking I2CDR?

0 Kudos

thornekontos
Contributor II

You are trying to set the device to be slave receiving mode? yes

Are you expecting to receive a data addressed to 0x7e or broadcast? expecting to receive data of 0x55 (from I2CDR)

Are you observing SDA bus by oscilloscope or you are checking I2CDR? oscilloscope

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Thorne Kontos,

Please follow the procedure "11.5 Initialization/Application Information" in MPC8544RM(http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/ref_manual/MPC8544ERM.pdf?fr=gdc) to configure configure I2C controller as slave(or master) mode.

I attached the I2C driver code from NetComm Software, please have a reference, especially pay attention to Initialization and Slave mode interrupt handler section.

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

thornekontos
Contributor II

Hello,

That was helpful, but I still have a few questions. Remember I just want to treat the MPC8544 processor as a slave and read 1 byte of data out.

Under section 11.5.1 Initialization sequence...

Step 1 - All I2C registers located in a cache inhibited page - verified

Step 2 Update I2CFDR - done (wrote value of 0x02)

Step 3 Update I2CADR - done (wrote value of 0x7e)

Question

Can I now write the I2CDR register with the value of 0x55? I want to read this value out (after completing

the initialization sequence) over the I2C bus, with the MPC8544 transmitting this data after I query the slave address (I2CADR)

of 7e.

Step 4 Modify I2CCR - done (wrote 0x00)

Question

I am a bit confused about bit 3. Can you provide some clarification here? I want to read the value in I2CDR.

I also do not want to enable interrupts.

Step 5 Modify I2CCR again - done (wrote 0x80) to enable the I2C module

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now here is what I am doing with the I2C bus...

Initiate START

9 SCL clocks      SCA bus from off chip to MPC8544 slave

clks 1-7              address => 0111111

clk 8                   read => 1

clk 9                   if address matches, MPC8544 slave should drive this line LOW for the ACK (this isn't working!)

9 SCL clocks      SCA bus from off chip to MPC8544 slave

clks 1-8              expect data from I2CDR of 0x55

clk 9                   write 1 for NOACK

Do you see any problems with what I am doing here?

Thank you,

Thorne Kontos

0 Kudos

yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Thorne Kontos,

1. About I2CFDR, what is the desired SCL frequency, please refer to the application note https://cache.freescale.com/secured/32bit/doc/app_note/AN2919.pdf?__gda__=1411053926_5e2befed9086ea0...

2. Please check the value of I2C status register I2CSR at 9th clk.

Have a great day,
Yiping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos