How to start/configure hotspot via Android Gingerbread GUI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start/configure hotspot via Android Gingerbread GUI

bdp42
Contributor IV

We are using an iMX53-based custom platform running Android Gingerbread with iMX53 freescale Android R10.2 BSP. I am trying to set it up as an access point.I have the WLAN device driver and hostapd installed. I was assuming I could start/configure the access point via the GUI but am unable to find how to do this. I have seen references to  menu --> Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Tethering & portable hotspot --> Portable Wi-Fi hotspot for Android 2.3 but I do not get these options. I only have

Menu--> Settings --> Wireless & Networks --> Tethering. Tethering is USB only.

Any ideas why "portable hotspot" might be missing? Is this included via some build option?

Bruno

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The steps that you followed are the correct ones to turn the hotspot on, though I don't have much experience with gingerbread, some older versions of android only allowed usb tethering.  There are hotspot apps available for gingerbread.

I just installed android 2.3.4 for the Freescale i.MX53 Sabre Tablet and it does have the option.

Did you download that BSP from our website? , or is it a third party?

Best regards,
Sergio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos