cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media player for android kitkat IMX6

ashokp
Contributor I

Hi All,

We are using android IMX6 based custom board. I have ported the Kitkat i.MX6 BSP for our custom board

It seems video player is not available in kitkat i.MX6 BSP.

Please let me know how to to add the support for this. Please share if any media player binaries available

Thanks,

P.Ashok 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

He Ashok

"Cactus Player" is included in omxplayer_source.tar.gz software package.

Please check Android_User's_Guide.pdf sect.6 "Freescale Extended Feature Packages"

and i.MX_Android_Extended_Codec_Release_Notes.pdf IMX6_KK442_100_ANDROID_DOCS

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Hi Igor,

I must be missing something.

The file "Android_User's_Guide.pdf" in the Docs package on this page only has 5 sections:

i.MX 6 D/Q/DL/S/SL kk4.4.2_1.0.0 GA release

The file "i.MX_Android_Extended_Codec_Release_Notes.pdf" does have a reference to the package android_kk4.4.2_1.0.0-ga_omxplayer_source.tar.gz, but that doesn't appear to be in any of the released packages.

Do you have this tar-ball?

Please advise,

Eric

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eric

this tar-ball is on internal Freescale site.

As far as I understand extended codecs are obtained

per special request through local FAE or marketing team.

Probaby you can enter ticket to get more info.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Thanks Igor,

The Extended codec package fixed up the MP4 issue.

0 Kudos

EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Thanks Igor. I'll check in with my trusty FAE.

0 Kudos

ashokp
Contributor I

Hi All,

I am trying  to play the video file (.avi,mp3,mov,mp4) in android .But i get the error message showing " video file not supported"

When we tried through cactus player , video is not playing.

I need to apply any patch to play the video ?

0 Kudos

EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Hi Ashok,

I'm not sure what you're seeing. Our Android image with the patches mentioned above is able to play a variety of videos.

http://boundarydevices.com/android-kitkat-pre-release-mx6/

The only thing we tried that didn't work was MP4/H.264, and that is now working (with the extended codec set).

It's pretty easy to test that using this command-line:

root@nitrogen6x:/ # am start -n  com.android.gallery3d/.app.MovieActivity -d http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/videos/big_buck_bunny.mp4

The WebM video on the Quirksmode page also plays nicely, even on the i.MX6 Solo I'm testing, but oddly, the Ogg/Theora doesn't.

HTML5 tests - video

The same pattern (MP4 and WebM work, Ogg/Theora doesn't) exists in the browser.

0 Kudos

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

KK4.4.2 does have a media player called "Cactus Player". Please take a look in the android apps. Is that what you are looking for?

0 Kudos

EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Hi SerchMX,

It appears that the Cactus Player is missing in action in the KK4.4.2_1.0.0-ga release.

Patch "0049-move-CactusPlayer-to-external-fsl_imx_omx.patch" removes it from packages/apps/fsl_imx_demo, and I don't see a corresponding patch to add it back.

0 Kudos

EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Reverting that patch allows CactusPlayer to build under KK, but fails to run on an "-eng" build for me with this error message:

E/AndroidRuntime( 3729): FATAL EXCEPTION: main

E/AndroidRuntime( 3729): Process: com.freescale.cactusplayer, PID: 3729

E/AndroidRuntime( 3729): java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.freescale.cactusplayer/com.freescale.cactusplayer.VideoMenu}: java.lang.SecurityException: Permission Denial: not allowed to send broadcast android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED from pid=3729, uid=10047

This patch seems to fix things:

diff --git a/CactusPlayer/AndroidManifest.xml b/CactusPlayer/AndroidManifest.xml

index 92fa422..ca34f5f 100755

--- a/CactusPlayer/AndroidManifest.xml

+++ b/CactusPlayer/AndroidManifest.xml

@@ -63,5 +63,8 @@

</intent-filter>

</activity>

</application>

-

+    <receiver

+         android:name=".CustomReceiver"

+         android:exported="true" >

+    </receiver>

</manifest>

I got the clues from this post:

android - Permission Denial:broadcasting Intent is not exported - Stack Overflow

0 Kudos

ashokp
Contributor I

Hi all,

Please tell me know how to revert the patch " 0049-move-CactusPlayer-to-external-fsl_imx_omx.patch" using command line .

In my current setup this patch has been applied and cactus player has been removed, but we want cactus OR some media player to test the video files.

let me know i can test/play my video files ?

0 Kudos

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right, it does not come with a media player. You could install any media player of your choice by ADB, that would be the only choice right now.

Best regards,
Sergio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ashokp
Contributor I

Hi

Thanks for your details and please let me know the instructions to load any media player via ADB.

Thanks,

P.Ashok

0 Kudos