cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPU file-play mode on iMX6?

tselmeci
Contributor IV

Hello all!

I've been using my iMX6Solo/Dual for a while with my video decoder program which directly uses the VPU API calls (e.g. vpu_DecOpen(...) and so on). The encoded frames must be passed to VPU's ringbuffer, and then VPU takes care of the data. However, it would be beneficial for me if I could use VPU a bit different way. Can VPU operate so that I only pass exactly one encoded frame and VPU decodes it, this way I can avoid using the ringbuffer approach? It's something that is called "file-play" mode in Freescale terminology, isn't it? Unfortunately I haven't found any sources in Freescale documentation that file play mode can work on my iMX6.

Is there any way to avoid the need to use VPU ringbuffer, just simply passing the encoded frame and have VPU decode it? Or am I sticked to use the ringbuffer approach only?

Thanks,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear Tamas,

Using the flag ringBufferEnable, from the EncOpenParam structure you can select the mode of the streaming  Here are the details from the VPU API Reference Manual:

ringBufferEnable

where 0 = disable, 1 = enable.

This flag enables the streaming mode for the current encoder instance.

Two streaming modes, packet-based streaming with ring-buffer (buffer-reset mode), and frame-based streaming with line buffer (buffer-flush mode) can be configured using this flag. When this field is set, packet-based streaming with ring-buffer is used. When this field is not set, frame-based streaming with line-buffer is used.

Have a great day,
Jaime

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

tselmeci
Contributor IV

Hello!

As I've written above I'd need to decode on a single frame basis, not encode.

0 Kudos