cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS v1.1.1 with KSDK 1.0.1 - FRDM-K64F new project problem

Jump to solution
piotrek
Contributor III

When creating a new KDS Project for the FRDM-K64F board, on the Rapid Application Development dialog, the Kinetis SDK selection is disabled.

With FRDM-K22F board selected, the Kinetis SDK selection is enabled.

Would this be expected?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
piotrek
Contributor III

Success!

It seems that on Windows 7 I had to run KDS IDE as an Administrator to update/install new software. My way to success followed these steps:

1. Install KDS 1.1.1

2. Install KSDK 1.0.0

3. Run KDS as Administrator

4 Install KSDK 1.0.0 from the provided .zip file.

5 Run again KDS as administrator and use Install New Software to update to KSDK 1.0.1 (I've used the update site - not the .zip file).

6. Now I can choose Kinetis SDK on New project setup for K64.

Now a little of a bad news - KDS doesn't want to run without Run as Administrator access.

The solution:

Find the offending lock file and delete it.

Piotr

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
piotrek
Contributor III

Success!

It seems that on Windows 7 I had to run KDS IDE as an Administrator to update/install new software. My way to success followed these steps:

1. Install KDS 1.1.1

2. Install KSDK 1.0.0

3. Run KDS as Administrator

4 Install KSDK 1.0.0 from the provided .zip file.

5 Run again KDS as administrator and use Install New Software to update to KSDK 1.0.1 (I've used the update site - not the .zip file).

6. Now I can choose Kinetis SDK on New project setup for K64.

Now a little of a bad news - KDS doesn't want to run without Run as Administrator access.

The solution:

Find the offending lock file and delete it.

Piotr

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

that's not expected. I have v1.1.1 with the Eclipse KSDK 1.0.1 installed too, and don't have that problem.

1) can you check where the KSDK_PATH (system environment) variable is pointing to?

It is

KSDK_PATH=C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.0.0

for me

2) Can you check if you really have all the updates installed? I have installed my update from the online site below:

(it should not make a difference if you downloaded the update from freescale.com/ksdk or from the online repository, so just checking what you have).

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

I've checked my Windows XP computer and the KDS with KSDK runs as expected.

The computer I'm having problem running KDS is Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine.

I have uninstalled KDS and KSDK.

With only KDS v1.1.1 installed (no SDK)  two boards: FRDM-K64F and TWR-K64F120M are available under New project setup. Kinetis SDK is understandably disabled.

With SDK support added additional boards are available under New project: FRDM-K22F, TWR-K22F120M, and TWR-KV31F120M. The Kinetis SDK option is only available for the three newly added board. Looks like adding KSDK support to KDS ignores already recognized K64F boards.

Also, every time I install KDS on Windows 7 I have to delete a .lock from D:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.1\eclipse\p2\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine\profileRegistry\DefaultProfile.profile If the file is not deleted, KDS will complain about Denied Access to .lock file.

Can you confirm KDS with KSDK and FRDM-K64F board running properly on a Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine.

Regards,

Piotr

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Piotr,

I can confirm that it works for me, I'm using Windows 7 64bit without issues. As Libor is indicating, it could be that you face a permission problem/issue.

I see above that you have the SDK installed on D:\ driver. Where is KDS installed? In C:\Freescale?

Erich

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

KDS and KSDK are installed under D:\Freescale directory. I have it the same way on my Windows XP machine with no problems.

Why would I have permission problems with K64 but no problems with K22 and KV31?

Piotr

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Piotr,

Windows XP has much less protection compared to Windows 7. That would explain why it works for you under XP.

Maybe some other weird things are playing a role into this, and your D:\ drive has some special meaning?

Not sure (and actually it should not matter), but could you try c:\freescale for the KDS installation?

Erich

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

I have a limited space on my C: drive and I'm trying to separate OS from other applications as much as possible. Was this software ever tested on Windows 7  and any drive other drive than C:?

Please notice that there is no problem with K22 and KV31. Are they handled differently than K64?

Piotr

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Piotr,

could you please

1) send me this file eclipse\ProcessorExpert\Config\PE\CPE\wizard_data\wizards\driver_suite\MK64FN1M0xxx12.xml ? It can be problem with file premissions, that the file is not rewritten by the update. It seems only images can be placed here, use private message. Or paste here LAST TWO <condition> xml elements here so I can compare if the content is expected or not.

2) check in the "Console view" the messages from the Processor Expert and check the System directory if it matches the path the KDS is installed.

3) If you re-install KDS in the same location, please after uninstall delete the files in the install directory if there are any left. Especially the eclipse/p2/org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core/cache folder can cause very strange problems when installing updates into the "fresh" installation.

Thank you,

Libor

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hello Libor,

Re1.

pastedImage_0.png

Only some of the files were modified on the installation day. Files related to K64 were not. 

pastedImage_3.png

Re 2

9-Sep-2014 9:47:47 PM Starting Processor Expert service

System directory = D:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.1\eclipse\ProcessorExpert

User working directory = C:\ProgramData\Processor Expert\PEXDRV_PE5_3

Internal cache directory = C:\ProgramData\Processor Expert\PECache\92b19759

Processor Expert license file = not used (no license file)

9-Sep-2014 9:47:51 PM Successfully started Processor Expert service

CDE: no license found, using Community Edition License

Re 3

All the directories were removed after uninstalling software.

Regards,

Piotr

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This seems to be OK. I'll try to set-up clean Win7 with drive D the same way you have it (of course I'm not able o reproduce the ACL you have on your disk D). I'll let you know my results.

Libor

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hi Libor,

I checked my XP machine. Here are the last 3 <condition> elements from the file you asked about:

pastedImage_1.png

The middle <condition> is not in the file on my Windows 7 machine.

Piotr

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Oops. I overlooked, sorry, the file content is not correct once the SDK supoprt is installed. It seems either the file was not overwritten properly, so it looks like file permission problem (in case you have installed the update from KSDK_1.0.0\tools\eclipse_update\SDK_1.0.0-GA_Update_for_Eclipse.zip).

When you synchronize the XP and Win7 in that directory - do you see any other differences? Also please compare "kds" folder located in the same place like the "driver_suite"

Libor

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Do you mean SDK _1.0.0-GA_Update_for_Eclipse_1.0.1.zip I've used this file initially. Then when re-installing I've used IDE Install new software way. The same problem.

My two computers are at different locations - no easy way to compare files.

Piotr

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hello Erich,

Re 1.

KSDK_PATH=D:\Freescale\KSDK_1.0.0

Yes, I have it on the D: drive. And it seems to be fine for the FRDM-K22F board.

Re.

I did use:

Freescale KDS Update Site - http://freescale.com/lgfiles/updates/Eclipse/KDS

to update my installation.

And looking and Installation Details I can see:

Eclipse Update for Freescale Kinetis SDK 1.0.0-GA

Version 1.0.1

I have downloaded it from freescale.com/ksdk.

What would be URL to access the KSDK's online repository?

Regards,

Piotr

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Piotr,

The URL/update site is shown below, and is already listed in the 'Available Software' list (menu Help > Install new software).

http://freescale.com/lgfiles/updates/Eclipse/KDS

pastedImage_0.png

Just in case: I create a new project:

pastedImage_1.png

and have:

pastedImage_0.png

Erich

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

Hi Erich,

Here are mine Installation Details:

pastedImage_1.png

It seems that I have more boards and processors to choose from:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_4.png

There is no problem with FRDM-K22F, TWR-K22F120M, and TWR-KV31F120M boards.

It seems that we are not running the same software (?). I have installed mine last week.

0 Kudos
piotrek
Contributor III

I've tried it on another computer.

This time I've used Help->Install New Software.. to update the software (on the first computer the update was done from a downloaded .zip file).

Now I can create a new project as expected.

I can see an additional (missing before) item on the Installation Details dialog:

pastedImage_0.png

Will re-install the software on the first computer and see what happens.

UPDATE:

Seems to be working OK on Windows XP.

After several uninstall and re-install on Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) the problem persists.

On Windows 7:

With only KDS v1.1.1 installed (no SDK)  two boards: FRDM-K64F and TWR-K64F120M are available under New project setup. Kinetis SDK is understandably disabled.

With SDK support added additional boards are available under New project: FRDM-K22F, TWR-K22F120M, and TWR-KV31F120M. The Kinetis SDK option is only available for the three newly added board.

0 Kudos