KDS building error: arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '--start-group'

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KDS building error: arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '--start-group'

hengguangyang
Contributor III

Target: GCC Project based on MQX(4.0.1) on K60

IDE: KDS 1.1.0; CW for MCU 10.6

MQX: 4.0.1, used libs: bsp psp mfs rtcs shell

A MQX 4.0 project was created and built successfully in CodeWarrior for MCU 10.6. But after I imported and converted it to a KDS project, the new project can't pass building in KDS with following errors.

arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '--start-group'

make: *** [UV4MCB.elf] Error 1

I noticed that there are some contents in "Linker flags" option in CodeWarrior project settings while it's empty in converted KDS project.

In CodeWarrior:

14463_14463.jpg20140829103636.jpg

In KDS:

14464_14464.jpg20140829103753.jpg

But, even I manually input those options in KDS as the same with which in CodeWarrior, the building error are still the same.

I really confused. What's wrong with the KDS project?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hello hengguang Yang.

KDS only support GCC compiler. CW10.6 can support both gcc and FSL ARM compiler. from the two screenshot. these two projects use different compiler.

please make sure your CW10.6 project is using gcc compiler too.

MQX4.1 has gcc compiler project. please check use it.

if you want to port Freescale ARM Compilerbased Projects to use ARM GCC. see attached Porting_ARM_GCC.pdf

======================

this answer is for you. if it helps, please click on "Correct Answer" button.thanks!

Best Regards.

ZhangJun

0 Kudos

hengguangyang
Contributor III

Thanks Jennie.

I forgot to mention that I indeed created the MQX 4.0 project in CW 10.6 by using GCC compiler. From screenshots above you also can find this. Is there any differences between the two GCC compilers in CW and KDS?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are differences in the compiler branch/versions. The most obvious differences are in the linker and in the libraries. Aparat of bug fixes between the compiler versions (because of the time difference when they were built), they are pretty much the same. Related to the libraries, the KDS newlib-nano libs have an issue that they use too much heap. But you can replace the build tools with the stock GNU ARM Embedded (lauchpad) tools maintained by ARM if you want or need this (see Switching ARM GNU Tool Chain and Libraries in Kinetis Design Studio).

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

hengguangyang
Contributor III

Thanks Erich.

I won't change default tool chain unless there is no other solution, since it's too troublesome for me.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In addition to that, there is a porting guide in KDS:

C:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.1\doc\pdf\kds_porting_guide.pdf

0 Kudos