cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert and KSDK

Jump to solution
paulderocco
Contributor III

After about an hour of Googling, I still don't understand the relationship between Processor Expert and the Kinetis SDK. Can someone explain it to me, or point me to some existing explanation that I've missed? Are they two different ways of accessing peripherals? Or are they used together?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

installing the SDK does not affect (corrupt) the Processor Expert. If you want to use the KDS + SDK, you have to install the update from the SDK directory and it enables the SDK in the New Project Wizard (NPW). Still, Processor Expert will should not be broken (new SDK components will be installed), only you will have enabled option for creating SDK projects either alone or with Processor Expert. If you use PEx+SDK you should use PEx SDK components, that do the initialization and proper settings in the compiler (include paths). Once you use PEx+SDK, you should use the components to configure the SDK.

Of course if you later will not want to use the SDK, create project without SDK supprot and the created project will behave the same way like before SDK installation.

Hope it helps,

Libor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
dorianhildebran
Contributor I

Some additional Information for other users who might have the same question.

>After about an hour of Googling, I still don't understand the relationship between Processor Expert and the Kinetis SDK. Can

>someone explain it to me, or point me to some existing explanation that I've missed? Are they two different ways of

>accessing peripherals? Or are they used together?

The PE and KSDK are different things.

The KSDK provides you with functions (Drivers and HAL) to acces the Hardware of your device (like i/o, adc, dma, power modes, etc).

PE provides you with a nice graphical interface to configure and use the different functions to acces the Hardware of your device. The "components" can come from the KSDK or from Kinetis (PE) or from external sources (like other developers, see mcuoneclipse).

My personal favorite is to use the PE without KSDK, and then use the logical device Drivers (ldd). Freescale recomends using the KSDK drivers.

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Paul,

I suggest you take a look at this .https://community.freescale.com/message/421681#421681( freescale kinetis sdk preview) .

Kinetis SDK and PE are twe different ways .

The Kinetis SDK platform directory contains the startup code, operating system abstraction, system services, driver libraries for peripherals, header files, linker files, and utilities such as the debug console implementation.

About Kinetis SDK, user can make API calls directly . While , user need configuration register then generate the driver code in Processor Expert.  So, use PE, user need refer to reference manual ,use SDK, it only need refer example and header's introduction.

Hope it helps

Best Regards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
paulderocco
Contributor III

Thanks for trying to help, but this doesn't really answer my question. I use Processor Expert, and I sort of understand what the SDK is, but I'm wondering if they interfere with each other. If I use the SDK for some high-level USB stuff, do I have to use it for everything? Does the SDK even provide a means for doing all the nitpicking initialization of every peripheral register, just like Processor Expert? Or can I use Processor Expert for the stuff I currently use it for (UARTs, SPI, DMA, ADC, DAC, etc.) and use the SDK for stuff that Processor Expert doesn't include?

I'd just try this out, but I'm worried that installing the SDK will break something in Processor Expert. Can someone at least assure me that installing the SDK won't change my KDS configuration in some way that makes my existing Processor Expert projects fail? Then perhaps I can ask more specific questions, or perhaps even figure it all out for myself.

0 Kudos
liborukropec
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Paul,

installing the SDK does not affect (corrupt) the Processor Expert. If you want to use the KDS + SDK, you have to install the update from the SDK directory and it enables the SDK in the New Project Wizard (NPW). Still, Processor Expert will should not be broken (new SDK components will be installed), only you will have enabled option for creating SDK projects either alone or with Processor Expert. If you use PEx+SDK you should use PEx SDK components, that do the initialization and proper settings in the compiler (include paths). Once you use PEx+SDK, you should use the components to configure the SDK.

Of course if you later will not want to use the SDK, create project without SDK supprot and the created project will behave the same way like before SDK installation.

Hope it helps,

Libor

0 Kudos
m4l490n
Contributor V

Hello

If just new SDK components are installed along those already existing. For example, taking the ADC component, does that mean that there will be two ADC components? One from the original Processor Expert and another one from the SDK. What is the benefit with this? It seems kind of redundant to me.

Or will the SDK ADC component somehow override or eliminate the PE ADC component?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Manuel,

the compoents for each SDK (and as well the ones of the original Processor Expert) are in separate repositories. They are all different, and to keep them separate and to allow you to use what you want (or need), they are in these repositories. You might have a look as well at Processor Expert Component Repositories | MCU on Eclipse for some information related to repositories.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos
m4l490n
Contributor V

Hello Erich

I guess PE is no longer valid in KSDK 2.0. I've read that NXP is going to come up with a tool similar to PE for kinetis is that true?

0 Kudos
jeremiahg
Contributor III

This is what has been mentioned regarding PE and KSDK 2.0.

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-329783#comment-33832

0 Kudos
paulderocco
Contributor III

Thanks, I'll try it.

0 Kudos