i.MX6 Vivante with Linux 3.16 Stable

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6 Vivante with Linux 3.16 Stable

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Hello, I am running mainline(ish) 3.16.1 on a custom i.MX6 board which is working very well including a basic rgb parallel display and fb support through mxc_lcdif etc which i brought forward in /drivers/video/mxc/.

I would like to get an accelerated graphics stack running and am looking for some advice/guidance on getting the vivante gpu up and running with a basic xfce or similar windowed environment.

Currently I am simply using qt 4x in qws mode and I would like to get accelleration working before I start looking at qt5.

I am using oe to generate my angstrom image, but the vivante kernel support doesn't seem to be available for mainline and there seems to be a myriad of drivers/files and modifications needed to get this going.

Specifically, I am looking for a list of 'requirements' that need to be met so that I can tackle them one at a time but haven't found any documentation outlining all of the requirements.

1. /drivers/gpu/drm requirements?

2. /drivers/gpu/ipu_v3 requirements?

3. vpu power configuration?

4. gpc gpu/vpu clocks?

5. vivante kernel drivers?

6. user-space drivers required?

7.device tree bindings required in my dts files?

8. other things that I probably forgot....

bonus question, since I currently am NOT using the gpu, how can I confirm that is is not using up extra power unnecessarily until I get this sorted out?

I know that this is a very board question/set of questions, so don't feel the need to answer everything but please chime in if you have any ideas or questions!

Thanks everyone

Brent

Labels (4)
5 Replies

fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Brent,

For parallel support you can use the 'fsl,imx-parallel-display' property in mainline. No need to use the mxc_lcdif from FSL kernel.

Also, you could try using this 3.14 kernel instead:

http://www.solid-run.com/community/topic1525.html

0 Kudos

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Thank you.

That is good to know about the fsl,imx-parallel-display, that should help to clean up alot of my display configs in the meantime.

Has anyone used this?

https://github.com/xobs/novena-linux/commits/v3.17-rc5-novena-vivante

0 Kudos

alejandrolozan1
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I do not know of the requirements, I am not an expert in GPU/Vivante; but according to one of my peers it seems that we are already working on this.

Let me delve into this.

Best Regards,

Alejandro

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Hi Alejandro.

Any updates?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Thank you!