how to build in linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to build in linux

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

We need to migrate our builds from Windows 7 to VMWare server machine (Linux). For this reason I need to know how I can have my Freescale CodeWarrior 10.4 with all its components installed and run in Linux?

We are currently having a project that is a bareboard project contains also ProcessorExpert attached to it, and builds very fine in Window7 CodeWarrior:

Installed Products:

- CodeWarrior for MCU

Version: 10.5

Build Id:130916

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

williamely
Contributor IV

Are you trying to make a build server? I had plans to make a Linux build server using Jenkins and the compiler that KDS uses.

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Well I am trying to build in Ubuntu Server machine. I have KDS installed and when I import my my project that I cleanly built in codewarrior in Windows, I cannot build it in KDS, I get several errors, trying to follow the steps as explained in

http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KDSPUG.pdf

I am stuck at step 3, I cannot see anything of such explained in step3 pop up?

0 Kudos

williamely
Contributor IV

I migrated my projects to IAR so I can't help you with KDS. I might go back to KDS after it has a year or so to mature.

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Mehdi:

CodeWarrior cannot be installed directly in Linux. Last version to support this was CW v10.2. You would need to install CodeWarrior in a Windows (7 / XP) virtual machine (is that what you meant with VMWare?). However sometimes there are problems with debug connections and drivers, due to the complexity added by virtualization between Virtual PC -> Host PC -> Debugging tool -> Target MCU.

Another alternative would be to try the new Kinetis Design Studio, which natively supports being installed on Linux platform, and supports all Kinetis devices.

Regards!,
Jorge Gonzalez

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

The target for now is just to be able to compile on a server that has vitrual machine. We are having Ubuntu. We would like to automate our build for our compilation and check in the latest build to our vault.

What I am seeing with current properties of the project that I have in CodeWarrior in Windows, current builder is GNU Make Builder, and toolchain it says ARM Toolchain.

So if I download Kinetis Design Studio in Ubuntu, I can migrate my project to it and be able to compile? Same way I did in Windows in CodeWarrior, is it true?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, you can built the project with Kinetis Design Studio in Ubuntu (just keep in mind that for now the KDS Ubuntu binaries are 32bit).

The other thing to keep in mind is that the toolchain (and toolchain integration) in KDS is *different* than in CodeWarrior.

KDS uses the GNU ARM Eclipse (Welcome to the GNU ARM Eclipse Plug-ins! | GNU ARM Eclipse) panels and integration, while CodeWarrior uses a different one.

The compilers are 'mostly' compatible/the same. But you cannot simply open a CW project in KDS. You need to convert it.

For this there is a 'conversion helper', described in the a converstion guide (Freescale\KDS_1.1.0\doc\pdf\kds_porting_guide.pdf)

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Not quite sure that if this is important for me or not "the KDS Ubuntu binaries are 32bit", is that going to cause a problem? should my Ubuntu Virtual box on server be set up as 32 bit, did you mean?

Additionally I have processor expert added to my bareboard project in CodeWarrior, is that going to be seen in Kinetis Desing Studio in Ubuntu?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It means that the current V1.1.0 Linux version comes as 32bit binaries (e.g. Eclipse). And these binaries have dependencies to other 32bit (system) libraries which you might have already installed in a 64bit Linux, or not. If not, you will need to add these 32bit libraries. So not a problem per se, but it might (depending on your libraries) that you need to add a few more. The plan is to move to 64bit Linux binaries (only) towards the end of this year anyway.

As for Processor Expert: yes, this is included as well in the Linux version.

Erich

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

I am having "Ubuntu Server v12.04.5 LTS x64", and when I download "kinetis-design-studio_1.1.0-1_i386.deb", I cannot open it. When I double click on it, it is not running and asks for choose your application!!!!

I think I should run it through a shell?

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

this file kinetis-design-studio_1.1.0-1_i386.deb.bin is not executable, is it? I tried it in shell and it did not work:

mehdi@build01:~/Downloads$ ./kinetis-design-studio_1.1.0-1_i386.deb.bin

./kinetis-design-studio_1.1.0-1_i386.deb.bin: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

./kinetis-design-studio_1.1.0-1_i386.deb.bin: line 1: `!<arch>'

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You can remove the .bin extension, I think the Freescale web download adds that to the file name (I will check with the FSL web team).

Apart of that, see the users's guide (http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/KDSUG.pdf?fasp=1&WT_TYPE=Users%20Gu...) available from

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=KDS_IDE&fpsp=1&tab=Documentation_Tab

which shows how to install a .deb file.

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Okay, now I loaded my project and I am doing a right click on my imported project and then select Convert CodeWarrior project file....

But once clicking it no window pops up to proceed with this process?

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

Why is that when I right click on the project and select "convert codewarrior project file..." nothing happens? I expect to see a popoup window based on what porting guide step3 says.

0 Kudos