What is the best way to Integrate PE drivers into Non-PE project such as IAR workbench?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to Integrate PE drivers into Non-PE project such as IAR workbench?

Jump to solution
DaveTonyCook
Contributor IV

Hello,

I have an existing application that I'm porting to an K22.  I will also be adding more features to the existing application.  The port will require that all the peripheral drivers will need writing for the new platform and that the project will be developed using the IAR Workbench 7.2 for Cortex - M4 (CM4)

It seems that PE Device Suite gives a fast route to achieving this.  With regard to integrating a PE driver into a non-PE project there is an application note AN4769.  The App note describes quite well how to do this however my question is has this App note been replaced by the 'Add project connection'  feature in IAR Workbench.  With this feature you load the PE ProjectInfo.xml file.

Im a bit confused on which is the best approach since the later seems to give me a more complicated problem with tool/project maintenance in that the tools are separate and so are the projects.  I'm trying to understand which is the best approach in generating drivers that can be stand-alone libs that can be integrated into my application project under IAR?

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

AN4769 describes how to implant a single Processor Expert driver (or the source code of it) into a non-PE IAR project. This application note does not replace the 'Add project connection' feature of the IAR workbench. That connection is for a 'live' connection between Processor Expert/Eclipse and IAR, so you can go to Eclipse, generate code, and then it the IAR EW will know about the changes and update the IAR project accordingly.

As for your case (as I understand it), I would suggest that you use the 'add project connection' and generate the drivers in Processor Expert. Once this is done and you do not need Processor Expert any more, you can use that project without Processor Expert, just using in IAR the created source code.

Erich

PS: in case you consider using IAR in Eclipse: Tutorial: Replacing IAR EW with Eclipse IDE | MCU on Eclipse

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

AN4769 describes how to implant a single Processor Expert driver (or the source code of it) into a non-PE IAR project. This application note does not replace the 'Add project connection' feature of the IAR workbench. That connection is for a 'live' connection between Processor Expert/Eclipse and IAR, so you can go to Eclipse, generate code, and then it the IAR EW will know about the changes and update the IAR project accordingly.

As for your case (as I understand it), I would suggest that you use the 'add project connection' and generate the drivers in Processor Expert. Once this is done and you do not need Processor Expert any more, you can use that project without Processor Expert, just using in IAR the created source code.

Erich

PS: in case you consider using IAR in Eclipse: Tutorial: Replacing IAR EW with Eclipse IDE | MCU on Eclipse

DaveTonyCook
Contributor IV

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Just to be clear I take it you mean that after I have finished with PE I then follow the directions presented in AN4769 as this will sever the connection between the IAR workspace and that of PE leaving me with just the source code which is now built into my IAR project.  This then allows me to maintain my IAR workspace and source files independently of PE.

By the way I know you've heard this before but great blog. Thanks