Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues using Segger J-Link with KDS

Jump to solution
lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

i'm using Kinetis Design Studio 1.1.0 under Windows 7. Currently i'm facing the 2 issues.

Issue #1: Kinetis Design Studio 1.1.0 comes with new Segger driver and new J-Link firmware. If i try to debug an application with KDS i'm forced to update the J-Link firmware. So i start the update process. Unfortunately KDS don't know nothing about this firmware update and kill the update task at half of progress because of it's timeout.

As a workaround i tried the flash button which didn't interrupt the firmware update.

Issue #2: I've a custom board with a MK20 and a KL02Z. Each of them are connected to a Segger J-Link and both are connected to a single PC via USB. If i try to flash one of the Kinetis chips i always get a dialog to select the desired J-Link. So good, so far. Unfortunately sometimes KDS don't wait in debug mode for the dialog result and runs into an error because it took a wrong target (not J-Link). But if i use the flash button the problem do not happen.

BR Stefan Wahren

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

Issue #1: Usually I have updated my Segger firmware with the Segger updater utility which is as well provided with the Segger files inside KDS (C:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.0\segger\JlinkConfig.exe). Running that utility allows you to update the firmware too. Interestingly that it works with the 'Flash from file' functionality in KDS, obviously this has not built in that timeout. So thanks for that tip!

Issue #2:

You can select an individual Segger unit. For this you need to know the USB identification or serial number. You can use the JLinkConfig.exe mentioned above:

Segger Configuration.png

You get that number reported in the Console view of Eclipse too:

pastedImage_1.png

Now all what you need is to pass this number with the -select command (see below):

pastedImage_2.png

The C:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.0\segger\Doc\Manuals\UM08001_JLink.pdf explains that option (and others).

I hope the helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
lategoodbye
Senior Contributor I

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Stefan,

Issue #1: Usually I have updated my Segger firmware with the Segger updater utility which is as well provided with the Segger files inside KDS (C:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.0\segger\JlinkConfig.exe). Running that utility allows you to update the firmware too. Interestingly that it works with the 'Flash from file' functionality in KDS, obviously this has not built in that timeout. So thanks for that tip!

Issue #2:

You can select an individual Segger unit. For this you need to know the USB identification or serial number. You can use the JLinkConfig.exe mentioned above:

Segger Configuration.png

You get that number reported in the Console view of Eclipse too:

pastedImage_1.png

Now all what you need is to pass this number with the -select command (see below):

pastedImage_2.png

The C:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.0\segger\Doc\Manuals\UM08001_JLink.pdf explains that option (and others).

I hope the helps,

Erich

0 Kudos