Will KDS support linux 64 bits shortly?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will KDS support linux 64 bits shortly?

haizhouli
Contributor III

I am using PEmicro with Codewarrior in win7 64 bits for temporary concept tests because KDS does not support Ubuntu 64 bits.

Most developments in our company are based on Linux 64bits. It seems that the new KDS release does not support 64 bits either.

My question is:  Will KDS support linux 64 bits eventually? if so, what is the timeframe?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The Linux binaries are 32bit, so you can install it in a 64bit Linux version. But the installer does not come with potentially missing 32bit extra libraries, so either you have them already (fine), or you need to add them. With this, KDS V1.1.0 can run on Linux 64bit (as a 32bit application).

Having said that: as the majority of Linux users indicate that they are using 64bit, the plan is that the next KDS version will support 64-bit with 64bit binaries. The downside of this will be that there will be no 32bit binaries any more. So only 64bit Linux will be supported.

0 Kudos

haizhouli
Contributor III

Hey Erich,

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

I think I did install the needed 32bit libraries.  It works fine to compile. But I have hard time to program it into my K64F board by opensda (I can program by online MBED method). I tried different computers on both ubuntu and centos, I saw different errors. Then I found the pages long workaround about KDS 1.0.1.

Then I gave up opensda and bought a PEmicro debugger. It works well on codewarrior in windows. But I cannot make it work on Ubuntu 64 bits. I followed the instruction on PEmicro to go to the folder of:

/opt/Freescale/KDS_1.0.1/pemicro/drivers/libusb_64_32 and run sudo ./setup.sh

it showed error:

line 6: /sbin/udevcontrol: No such file or directory

then I found this link on community about the problem:

OpenSDA not working for KDS V1.0.1 in Linux.

Then I decided to just wait for next release since the kinetis project is not in a hurry. Now since the new 1.1.0 is out, I just wonder if i can use PEmicro on ubuntu 64 bit now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Officially, 64bit Ubuntu is not supported yet. Have you seen

C:\Freescale\KDS_1.1.0\pemicro\Kinetis_Design_Studio_Debug_Configuration_User_Guide.pdf

? Have a look at chapter 2. I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

haizhouli
Contributor III

Thanks for finding the answer.

I did not read that article since I did not install the latest release yet. Actually, this is the reason I ask. I am not sure if I need so the update. But I may give it a try for OpenSDA again. Thanks!

0 Kudos

haidong_zheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Haizhou:

I have tried OpenSDA with KDS 1.1.0 and TWRK22F120M board under 64bit Linux  just a few mintues ago,  all things go very well  include chip select, flash programing, break point stop, step by step ....   nothing need be tricked ... of course JLink programing speed is more faster than OpenSDA.

haidong_zheng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Haizhou:

From KDS 1.0.1 release, I work under 64bit Linux environment, my working platform is TWRK22 & MQX, debugger is JLink SWD mode, all thing work well.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Haizhou,

unfortunately, this goes beyond my knowledge. I'm pinging P&E so they could provide some insights.

Erich

0 Kudos