AnsweredAssumed Answered

MPL3115A2 Altitude question

Question asked by Chris H on Jul 30, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 4, 2016 by Tomas Vaverka

I have verified that both the Temperature and Pressure are correct.  However I can't get the Altitude reading to get even close to the correct altitude.

I live in Miami, FL (South Florida).  I'm practically at sea level, 22 miles (33.5 km) from the beach.  Elevation reading from a local weather station is 2 meters.

The Pressure today is 1010.38 hPa, again from the local weather station.  The reading on the MPL3115A2 is 101488 PA, which is close enough.  hPa on Miami Beach tonight is 1011.74.

Outside temperature tonight is 27.3 C.  I am testing the MPL3115A2 inside my one story house where the temperature is around 23 C.  Temperature reading is correct on the MPL3115A2.

The altitude being displayed is ...  25394.xx meters!

I read through a document I found on the freescale site and I did see something about adjusting a register to local conditions or something.

Notes:  Arduino Uno/Adafruit MPL3115A2/Libraries being used to test are the ones from Adafruit and Sparkfun/

So what is going on here?  Why is the Altitude way off while the other two variables are correct.  The Altitude is calculated correct?

I really appreciate anyone's help with this.

Thanks

Chris - Miami, FL

Outcomes