AnsweredAssumed Answered

U-Boot on P2020RDB-PCA via SD Card

Question asked by Rolando Nieves on Jul 21, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 by Sangdon Cheong

After an erroneous NOR flash write on my P2020RDB-PCA, I am unable to even bring up the u-boot environment. Right now I am in the process of attempting to have the P2020RDB-PCA start u-boot from an SD card. I have perused through several discussion threads and other pages, I've surmised that I need to use the boot_format tool that is installed with the cross-compilation toolchain produced by the QorIQ Linux SDK. After creating a single FAT32 partition on the SD card (per the documentation in the Freescale Technical Information Center), I execute the boot_format as follows:

sudo /opt/fsl-networking/QorIQ-SDK-V1.6/sysroots/x86_64-fslsdk-linux/usr/bin/boot_format \

/opt/fsl-networking/QorIQ-SDK-V1.6/sysroots/x86_64-fslsdk-linux/usr/share/boot_format/config_ddr3_1gb_64bit_p2020rdb_pc.dat \

'/home/rnieves/QorIQ-SDK-V1.6-20140619-yocto/build_p2020rdb_release/tmp/deploy/images/p2020rdb/u-boot-sd-P2020RDB-PC_SDCARD-2014.01+fslgit-r0.bin' \

-sd /dev/sdc1

The boot_format tool seems to report a successful write to the SD card, after which I unmount from my Linux machine. I then ensure that the P2020RDB-PCA attempts to pull u-boot from the SD card (via the dip switches in SW3: 011010XX), plug the SD card into my P2020RDB-PCA, and power up. Based on all the documents I've read this should be enough, but the only response I receive from the P2020RDB is a fast-blinking eTSEC2 green and amber light. The serial console I have connected to the P2020RDB via UART0 does not produce any output that I could use to help diagnose the problem.

My question to the community is: Is the board completely bricked? Or is there something I'm doing wrong in the SD card formatting.

Pertinent configuration details:

Workstation: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; x86-64

QorIQ SDK: 1.6

SD Card: Kingston 8GB SDHC

Many thanks for your assistance.

Outcomes