mx21 linux boot

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mx21 linux boot

ladelberg
Contributor I
I have an mx21ads and am trying to get linux to boot on it.  I have tried the BSP package from the site but it does not seem to produce a bootable kernel.  Nor does the linux-2.6-mx git tree, at least not for this part.  I get the "uncopressing............. booting" messages but no data to the console.  I have checked my console setting and they seem correct.

Any help would be appreciated.  I am not exactly new to embedded/ARM linux having worked on ports for the XScale and Cirrus EP93xx platforms so I am a bit perplexed.

Thanks for any assistance.
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Mondial
Contributor I
Just to make sure: Do you really have a mx21ads or is it a mx21adse?

I'm having a mx21adse (RoHS) board here right on my desk and it's working fine.

Regards,
Christian
0 Kudos

ladelberg
Contributor I
I am fairly certain it is a ads but I am not certain how to distinguish - it says MX21 ADS Base Board.  The CPU card just say s MX21 CPU on it.

Which kernel are you using?

Message Edited by ladelberg on 2007-09-07 09:29 PM
0 Kudos

Mondial
Contributor I
I think you have the ADS (not the ADSE) board. Mine has already a Sticker "Linux OS Rev. 7.1" on the CPU board, wich is Kernel 2.4 based.

I also downloaded Rev 7.2 (that also has a Kernel 2.4). I noticed that there is some progress in the official 2.6 Kernel regarding support of the i.MX21, but I think ist far from complete.

Are you working with LTIB? That should generate a quite stable kernel (if you stay away from USB and SDCARD support).

Christian
0 Kudos

ladelberg
Contributor I
Thanks for your comments.

I got it booting on the 2.4 kernel with the HAB toolkit..   My client of course wants to use a 2.6.22 and was under the impression that the newest kernels supported the mx21 "out of the box".  I have a 2.6.19 that boots up on the ADS now. 

I appreciate you taking the time to comment.  I was getting concerned I was just plain missing something out there - questioning my sanity as they say.
0 Kudos

Mondial
Contributor I
I also took a look at 2.6.19, but support for the ADSE is far from beeing complete and in 2.6.22 a lot of the package structure has changed, so as long as we can stay with the 2.4 (no need for RT support yet), we decided to use the LTIB yust for now.

Regards,
Christian
0 Kudos