OPENSDA MSD-DEBUG-FRDMK64

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPENSDA MSD-DEBUG-FRDMK64

mlamp
Contributor II

I have tried to install the for the OpenSDA MDS-Debug on the FRDMK64 without success.  This SDA file was not in the K64 Quick Start Package, so I downloaded it from the PEMicro.com\opensda website. 

However, the file is too big to fit on the freedom k64 in bootloader mode.  Has anyone else had this issue?  It works just fine on the K25.

What I am trying to accomplish is run the sensor fusion adapter board on my k64.  In order to do this I need to generate a license, which I cannot do until I have the board in MSD mode with a cdc uart. 

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

there was a preproduction board of the FRDM-K64F which used that .SDA files. The production board of the FRDM-K64F have a different OpenSDAv2 bootloader (see Using the FRDM-K64F with CodeWarrior | MCU on Eclipse and more about OpenSDAv2 in Segger J-Link Firmware for OpenSDAv2 | MCU on Eclipse).

The file you are using is for the OpenSDAv1, not the OpenSDAv1 which uses a different bootloader and application address.

A matching P&E OpenSDAv2 application can be found in the Kinetis SDK (http://www.freescale.com/ksdk): download the beta version of the SDK, and then you fiind the DEBUG_K64F_MBED_PEMICRO_V108.BIN in the root folder of the KDSK_1.0.0-Beta.zip.

Download that .BIN file to the board to have the firmware programmed.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

mlamp
Contributor II

Thank you for the quick response.  Do you know if there is a MSD-Debug OpenSDA file that will work with the FRDM K64?  In order to use the xtrinsic 9-axis board I need to generate a license file by dropping a file (Identify_K64F.s19) on the freedom board and then run a FRS tool (ClGenerateNodeLockedLicense.exe) that will probe the freedom board via the usb cdc serial port.

This process was outlined in the FTF course (FTF-CON-F0178.pdf) for the KL25Z, but it also claims to work with the K64.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is a MSD bootloader on the FRDM-K64F board by default (the 'mbed' bootloader). However, it does not accept S19 files and only works with .bin files (see Binary Files for the mbed Bootloader with Eclipse and GNU ARM Eclipse Plugins | MCU on Eclipse). So you need to convert your S19 file into a binary file first.

0 Kudos

mlamp
Contributor II

Thanks again.  You are getting me half-way there!  I am able to use the mbed loader to get the bin file on the k64, and then I switch to the JLink_OpenSDA to verify the board via the com port.  However, I cannot verify the program because I cannot correctly convert the S19 to bin with the mot2bin executable. 

I'll keep you updated on my progress...

0 Kudos