AnsweredAssumed Answered

Lightweight message size

Question asked by David Sherman on Jul 11, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 by Daniel Chen

I'm trying to understand the message sizing in lightweight messages.  I understand that it is in multiples of 32 bits.  Let's say I'm trying to pass a structure as a message:

typedef struct

{

unsigned char byte1;

unsigned char *ptr1;

unsigned char byte2;

unsigned char *ptr2;

}messageStruct;

The sizeof() for this structure returns 16 bytes.  So, if i create a message queue like this:

uint32_t msgQ[sizeof(LWMSGQ_STRUCT)/sizeof(uint32_t) + sizeof(messageStruct)/sizeof(uint32_t)]

I end up with an array of 20 uint32_t, or 80 bytes, which is what I would expect.

I then initialize the queue with:

_lwmsq_init(msgQ, 1, 4);

However, when I send this structure, with the LWMSGQ_SEND_BLOCK_ON_FULL, it doesn't block because apparently it's not full.  As an experiment, I tried send a single uint32_t integer, but left the message size the same.  Again, it did not block.  Once I changed the message size to 1, it blocked.  Although it only allows 1 message, apparently it's not "full" unless the size of the message is exact.  How does one send a structure like this and have it block on full?

On a somewhat related note, if I send a message with the LWMSQ_SEND_BLOCK_ON_SEND flag, it does indeed block, but what unblocks the task?  I was able to block one task, receive the structure message by the receiving task, but I could not send a structure back and unblock the requesting task.

Outcomes