cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code Warrior Development Studio - not running on 64bit OS

aarontaylor
Contributor I

Hello,

I have just received my new Freescale DEMO9S12XEP100 board and software.

After inserting the code warrior CD and trying to run setup I get a message that it wont run on a 64 bit operating system.

I don't know how to run and install this software I tried the compatibility settings but this didn't work and the same message appeared.

Help installing this software will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think that version on that CD is very old.

I have CodeWarrior for MCU V5.1 (CW-HCS12X: CodeWarrior Development Studio for HCS12(X) Microcontrollers (Classic IDE)) installed on my Windows 7 64bit machine.

I suggest that you download and install that version.

aarontaylor
Contributor I

G'day Erich,

Thanks for the info. I tried downloading the IDE from the site, and all seemed to work, however when I select the SMH Technology hardware as I imagine this is the correct type for the DEMO9s12XEP100, as it is the software that came with the board the program has an error and closes.

Do you have anything for this?

FreeScale technical advise that I need to buy a P.E. BDM debugger however that is $100 or more I was trying to set up a fuel injection system on the cheap, as the board only cost $100 (hard to locate as well) I am a little disappointed that there was no info about this on the Freescale website.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Aaron,

yes, unfortunately that board has the SofTec (acquired later by SMH) debug interfac on it. They did not develop any 64bit DLL/interface at all. So yes, you need a P&E Multilink as external debug cable to debug that board :-(

Erich

aarontaylor
Contributor I

Hi again Erich,

I have another question in regard to the P.E. Debugger and the SMH debug interface.

If I run the SMH interface on a machine that is running a 32bit OS and therefore will install properly will I still get the same functionality out of the SMH version with regards to the P.E. version?

Cheers

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Aaron,

I have not used the SMH/SofTec version for years, but as it goes for debugging, it provides the same overall functionality.

I don't know what your budget is, but installing things on a 32bit machine might not be worth the efforts. I mean if you buy a P&E Universal multilink, you can use it for S08, ColdFire, ARM, S12, ..., and if you do your own design with the S12X you will need anyway such a cable. So you might be better of just to buy one, and you can use it for other projects too. Just my 5 cents.

Erich

0 Kudos

aarontaylor
Contributor I

G'day Erich,

Yes I plan on doing my own design using the S12X, why is it that I'd need a P&E universal multilink for this.

Is it because they offer more code compiling ability for C and asm, as I've noticed that the current software I have limits the size of the files, which I haven't computed yet, but for my (not so new idea) Fuel injection system for a previously carbreuted car may prove difficult with a limit on the code size.

Of topic a bit but do you know of a suitable chip for a 8 cylinder fuel injection / ignition system. I just found the DEMO9s12XEP100, as a good starting point as it was a development board with debugging operation so I could test things out without making my own board.

I will be using the X-Gate functions extensively I think as I will implement DSP (digital signal processors) to do my A2D calculations to keep the main processor free to do injection timing and ignition firing, and port the bytes in using the UARTs, these will also make for good foundations for doing logging of engine data.

Cheers and thanks a bunch for your help.

Aaron

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Aaron,

you will need a programming device like the P&E Multilink to program the microcontroller on your own board. Somehow you need to program it, and this is what the Multilink is used for. And if you have the free CodeWarrior edition, then yes, there is a code size limitation (I believe it is 64 KByte).

Erich

0 Kudos

aarontaylor
Contributor I

Thanks Erich,

Could you please direct me to a site or page where I can find information on the connection of the P&E multilink to the required components and the pin allocations on chips I guess the pin names will be the same on different chips.

Even if you could direct me to a page in a datasheet which outlines the requirements for a circuit for programming.

You help is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Aaron,

on your board, there is a 3x2 pin header near the USB plug labeled BDM. Here you connect your P&E Multilink.

You find the pinout here too http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/user_guide/USBMULTILINKUM.pdf (note that this is the BDM only cable, not the Multilink Universal, so is only for S08 and S12, although a little bit less expensive).
As for additional data sheets, simply search the internet for
freescale bdm pinout
and you will find many application notes, including http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN3335.pdf (its for the S08, but pretty much the same).
Erich
0 Kudos