WiFi / Ethernet do not coexist well in Android

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi / Ethernet do not coexist well in Android

andreygelman
Contributor III

I see that in both ICS and JB, WiFi and Ethernet cannot coexist.

I have quite figured out the reason: ConnectivityService.java manages kind of policy, where all the network connections are prioritized, so the one with the lower priority is torn down (Ethernet happens to be prioritized over WiFi).

In case the unrequired network is disconnected (e.g. Ethernet cable is pulled out or WiFi is off), the other network is Ok.

But in order to use my device (i.mx6) as an access point, I would like to have them both.

I have tried to merely delete the policy checks from the code, but, at least with JB, it seems to screw the networking altogether.

How can it be done ?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I haven't tried this before but I haven't heard of anyone doing it, this is a Google limitation I guess

Nevertheless, I did a google search and I found a person that wanted to do the exact same thing that you want, and he was able to work-around-it by using a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Best regards,
Sergio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos