John Falcon

Help, I can program my HC08GP32 uCs ONLY once .....  :~(

Discussion created by John Falcon on Aug 30, 2007
Latest reply on Aug 31, 2007 by David Payne
Hi,

I am using an HC08GP32 uC (actually I have 5 different ones), with a generic programming board (w/MON08 serial port circuitry built in). I use the latest versions of P&E Software (ICS08/PROG08SZ). I used to program them some 4 years ago with no problem, using this same board, but now that I am taking HC08 projects on again, I am having a problem .....

I am able to program NEW microcontrollers, but once I have programmed (and tested them on a protoboard succesfully), I cannot program them again. When I try to connect to the board, to program the S19 file (same file or new one) to the uC, the software keeps on bringing up the widow that says "Attempting to contact target and pass security". When I use "ignoring security failure and enter monitor mode" I get the same result. It always says "Trying Security $FFFFF" ....  and "(Failure of 68HC08 ....)"

I am attaching a screen capture (Problem.JPG) of what I am seeing all the time  :smileysad:

I started working with one specific micro (let's call it #1), which I had already programmed before (years ago) more than 100 times, and I programmed it just fine. But when I wanted to program a new version, it failed. So I thoguht #1 was dead ... I went out and got two more microcontrollers (#2 and #3). If they wouldn't program, the board was damaged, I assumed. But #2 was programmed with no problem, and failed to be programmed a second time. Same thing happened to #3. So I conclude: The board is fine, chips #1, #2 and #3 are fine (I think) because they work on the testing protoboard with the code they have programmed, doing what they are supposed, so the problem is either the software, or, most likely, me, not taking something into account and not configuring something .... (Could it also be something I am doing to the ICs that makes them non-writable ? I hope not ...). It is not only a NEW IC thing, since #1 was old and had something already programmed on it when it worked .....

I am using the latest P&E software (WinIDE, ICS08 and PROG08SZ (v.2.12)), all downloaded from their homepage 2 days ago, running under WinXP SP2  ....

If you need any other info to try to fix the problem, please let me know ..

Any help will be greatly appreciated ....

Outcomes