DMA?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMA?

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

what is the advantage of using DMA? and what is it used for?

I have never used DMA for any device, but want to see what is it used for and what is the advantage of using it?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mehdi,

you can use DMA to copy data in I2C registers comming from external devices into internal memory or you can  put data from internal memory into I"C registers to be sent to external devices without CPU intervention.

I dont have and example using I2C but the attached project is a very simple example showing how to configure DMA to transfer to memory data received form UART.

Hope this helps.

Carlos

0 Kudos

arpitaagarwal-b
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

DMA enables fast transfer of data with minimal processor interaction. Generally DMA transfers can be initiated by software of peripheral hardware request.

It will help to bypass the speed bottleneck created because of device bus clock.

For example, if you want to generate a customized waveform using DAC and every time data is written on the DAC-data register then the fastest rise time will be limited by the CPU bus clock. Whereas, if data is transferred to DAC using DMA, very fast rise time can be observed.

This is talking about DMA is general. Exact advantages can be analysed considering a particular device and a use case.

Thanks and Regards

Arpita Agarwal

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

I have three i2c components on one of my i2c buses, and i need to check them frequently, can i use dma?

I am also writing and reading flash sometimes, can I use dma for this too?

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mehdi,

Can you please provide us the device used ?

In same time what will be the development tool ?

Have a great day,
Pascal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

mehdikarimibiuk
Contributor V

I have MK60DN512VLL10

my i2c components are eeprom, temperature sensor, SFP eeproms, and hot swap. the first three are sitting on i2c1 bus and the last one is on i2c0 bus.

for flash, i am using PE flash component for reading and writing.

I am having a bareboard project with PE attached in CW 10.5

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mehdi,

Thanks for the info.

I've contacted the Kinetis team.

I think they could provide us more details about DMA (advantage of using).

Have a great day,
Pascal

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos