AnsweredAssumed Answered

TCP/IP stack options for Kinetis K64 family

Question asked by Luiz Fernando Schrickte on Jun 10, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 by Luiz Fernando Schrickte

Hi,

I've recently decided to go with Freescale again in a http based device project, to take place in a  Cortex-M4 MK64FN1M0VLL12 device (have some experience already with a KL15 Cortex-M0+).

My question is: Kinetis SDK advertises in its fact sheet that it contemplates "lwIP open source lightweight TCP/IP stack", but I've seen no signs that this actually exists or is going to happen soon enough... is there any hope?

I've already ordered a FRDM-K64F kit and downloaded the Kinetis Design Studio, but now I'm considering again to take another MCU as I'm having the following issues:

- I could compile a simple program using FreeRTOS + KDS, however there is no easy way to integrate a TCP/IP stack to it

- I can see the enet hal code on the KSDK folder, however there is no hal component on the KDS interface. Am I doing something wrong? If I could understand the Ethernet driver from KSDK maybe I'll try to port the lwip stack by myself.

It will be really nice to have a simple and complete TCP/IP stack in Kinetis Design Studio to use with Freescale MCUs.

I've already compiled (after a couple hours) a sample application from latest MQX RTOS release (httpsrv_frdmk64f, which has something in common with my application) on Codewarrior 10.6, but I would really prefer to go with the more adopted combination FreeRTOS + lwip... In the sample I noted that the PE components are not present and it looks like I'll have a hard time putting things together. I had no success using PE MQX component directly and it looks like MQX configuration/use is not an easy task.

I would definitely appreciate if someone could give me some advice on which path to choose in order to have available a TCP/IP stack suitable to the Kinetis MCU I'm using. I wish I could use some already tested stack, so I don't have the spend a lot of time developing low level stuff (I like to do it, but it is not the focus here in my company ).

Thank you very much!

Regards

Luiz Fernando

p.s.: I know KSDK is in beta state and that some features in the fact sheet are not available yet

Outcomes