development tool

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

development tool

demir
Contributor I
. i m looking for development tool for s12r s12c s12xe... can you sent me information about where can i found and which tool is the best... thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

The S12R is a ROM part and therefore cannot be easily developped on and you should prefer the S12D family which is the equivalent in flash.

The S12C is a "standard" S12.

The S12XE is really different technology and has MUCH more capabilities than the other ones.

You can use COSMIC or CodeWarrior IDE to develop code; program and debug.
You can use a TBDML, USB MULTILINK or  InDART debug hardware to plug on the target.

Regards,
Alban.
0 Kudos

demir
Contributor I
am i wrong or indart is not support s12r and s12xe??
copied from indart official site...
Note: in order to work with the new S12X derivatives, a special CodeWarrior edition (CodeWarrior Development Studio for Freescale HC9S12X/XGATE Microcontrollers) is required. An evaluation version of this CodeWarrior edition is available for download from Metrowerks' website

codewarriors specifications... 

Specifications

IDE version: 5.7 Host platforms: Microsoft® Windows XP/2000/td> Language support: Assembly, C/C ++ Build tools output formats: ELF/DWARF 2.0, Hiware, Freescale S-Record, Intel® hex, binary MC9S12X device support: A, D, DG, DP, DT MC9S12 device support: A, B, C, D, DB, DG, DJ, DP, DT, E, GC, H, KG, KT, NE, T and U MC68HC812 device support: A4 MC68HC912 device support: B, D, DG, DT Board support: MC68HC9S12DP256 Evaluation Board
M68EVB912C32
M68EVB912DP256
Host target interfaces: USB Multilink 12
Cyclone Pro
SofTec BDM12
Abatron BDI1000® (Professional Edition only)
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

S12R is a ROM part. You will not find any development tool talking about programming flash on a ROM part as it does not have flash.
Also, nobody develops on a ROM as it cannot be programmed.
People develop on a flash part and when are satisfied with the software, transfer to a ROM.

I don't see the use of pasting CodeWarrior box.
May be you had a question associated ?

Alban.
0 Kudos

demir
Contributor I
thanks for explaning :smileyhappy:

i have one more question for you..

CodeWarrior for HCS12(X) Microcontrollers does not support s12xe and i want to know is it possible to support it with update and if it is how can i do this??

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

CodeWarrior for HCS12(X) does support S12XE family.

You can download updates, patches and service packs from:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=0127260061788213D2

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
Al, thanks for clarifying; CW for S12(X) is the one that supports XE.

I hope you understand what demir was asking which nobody has explained yet. Quoting from CodeWarrior website, "MC9S12X device support: A, D, DG, DP, DT", demir shows that there is absolutely no mention of supporting XE. Even if it had said that one of the "S12X" devices was "E", that would have meant "XE". Sure, it should be obvious that S12(X) is the only listed that might support it, but the obvious question is "where is that docuemned?"  Will somebody in charge please get it added into the document?

Perhaps to help answer, look at downloadable upgrades. I see "CodeWarrior for HCS12 v4.6 - XEP100 Service Pack", of course it requires a little too much detective work for some new user to think the answer might only be in the service pack downloads. Also, to see what tools to use, I like looking at the device first. Look up the XE, then look at it's Design Tools listed. There you see CW S12(X), and Freescale tries not to list a tool there that is not for the target being described.

Rating:
Need I mention that someone is still mis-using the rating system? I say it here in case that person reads this. If somebody starts with "am I wrong", we should respond in english and tell them if we think they are wrong. No need to give them the absolute lowest rating just because they wish to know! Ratings should be based on how well the information they had was given. When demir quoted exact text which led him/her to believe S12(X) does not support XE, I believe that is an excellent post, and encourage it.

0 Kudos

demir
Contributor I
Thank you for explanation imajeff... it was the (great!) answer that i was looking for :smileyhappy:...
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III

demir wrote:
Thank you for explanation imajeff... it was the (great!) answer that i was looking for :smileyhappy:...

No problem, and thank you. I was beginning to be convinced that since Alban was so angry, maybe I was not helpling :robotsad:   But now I feel better. :robottongue:
0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
My advice would be to ignore whatever the Codewarrior/Freescale websites tell you, since they have never been correct. I remember when the web department invented a 12-bit ADC for the S12 and my all-knowing Freescale retailer sent me a quotation for those non-existing chips :smileyhappy:

As an example, if you are a developer looking for a new CPU family for your project and go to Freescale (without any knowledge of their partnames), you will find S12 listed as "S12 and S12X", "S12 and S12X automotive" and "S12 legacy". At the word "legacy", a sane developer will quickly close the window and look elsewhere. Or perhaps start looking at a family that isn't listed as legacy, like HC16. The whole S12D family is listed as legacy.
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

The explanation exists and is not Freescale nor CW specific:
- How can a description include something that does NOT exist ?

The answer is that it cannot. So, when CodeWarrior 4.6 was released, it did not describe S12XE.

One day, the S12XE appeared. And, instead of creating a brand new release (300MB+) for each new device supported, the functionality was added as an update to the existing release.

That was the story of software release.
Every name is interchangeable with any operating system, development environment, anti-virus and other software which evoluates.

Here is a precision for readers: there is only one CodeWarrior by product family.
Older versions are kept updated for a while though. But older versions are not available on the website, as far as I know.

I can also advise http://www.CodeWarrior.com/ as a shortcut to the product series. I don't know if/how long that domain will be kept, but that's the one I use.

Including it to the document will make falsely believe that the initial download allow to support the S12XE. It does not have the same flavours of modules like the MPU and XGATE v3 (dual context).
The S12X has a MMC which is more basic for memory protection and an XGATE v2 which is not interruptible.

Rating: multiple people are using the rating system (potentially 8000+ users), there is no way to see who rated what. I can only encourage people to rate to give the average impression rather than having the feeling of one individual, whoever he/she is.

Alban.
0 Kudos

imajeff
Contributor III
Thanks Al,

I understand your response, and it makes sense, even though people might think you are being unreasonable (because they want to be informed). I should emphasize the tip that you vaguely implied:

Note that if one does wish to use this version (CodeWarrior 4.6) with S12XE, they will need to not only install the product as downloaded (or found on CD), but they will also need to install the appropriate update patch(es) in order to support S12XE !
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

Everyone does want to be informed, indeed, NOT mislead.

If it was written in the list of initially supported device and that you had to download even 30KB on top to get it, you would probably be the VERY FIRST person to complain about it...
Here, the documentation is spot on. The download of that page does not support S12XE.

You already explained twice how to get an evoluating software up to date (click update), I think now everyone got the message. Please don't write a third time in this same thread.

Alban.
0 Kudos