cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

u-boot for m5475evb?

comio
Contributor I
Dear all,

I'm searching for a u-boot porting for m5475evb without success. I looked in the git tree but I found just some similar cpus (mcf52xx/mcf53xx).

In my company the u-boot is well known (for mips archs) and I'm interested to keep this boot loader for us applications.

Do you know or have any u-boot implementation for the mcf547x cpu?

I'm interested to port the u-boot to the m547x cpu family if need, Can you suggest me any documents or materials to evaluate the porting way?

thanks a lot.

luigi
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

tsi-chung_liew
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Luigi,

Due to limit time I had, I did not port the 547x_8x into the last merging window (Aug 17) at Denx. I will start porting the 547x_8x and estimate to be completed in about two weeks time frame.

Regards,
TsiChung

0 Kudos

JWW
Contributor V
Comio,

We working to make Uboot our preferred Linux bootloader and for that matter a good general purpose boot loader.

The 547x and 548x families are actually based on the MPC8220(i) which is in the Uboot tree.
So actually...

You (we) need to take the 8220(i) and merge it with the V4 ColdFire tree coming out in the next release of Uboot.

Wolfgang pointed out some good stuff.  We (Freescale) have plans to put out a Uboot for 547x, but it probably won't get done for a couple of months.  We'd be happy to work with you as we did the 8220(i) port originally.

The key is that the 547x and 548x ColdFire parts use a micro-coded DMA engine.  So it is probably easier to get the FEC (ethernet) and DMA drivers from the 8220 code base.

Actually the following could be re-used from 8220(i)

DMA microcode
FEC (ethernet)
PSC (Uart)
FlexBus (which is the local bus)
DDR (SDRAM memory controller)
PCI support

The cache, USB, and IRQ controllers are different.  Those will need to be created.  As the USB is only a device only...it may have little reason to support in Uboot.

Let us know your thoughts.

-JWW

0 Kudos

comio
Contributor I

JWW wrote:
Comio,

We working to make Uboot our preferred Linux bootloader and for that matter a good general purpose boot loader.
This a good news for me. U-boot is a good boot-loader, but it lacks on development documentation. (Which is or where is the API? :smileyvery-happy:)

The 547x and 548x families are actually based on the MPC8220(i) which is in the Uboot tree.
So actually...
Ok. Then I will look the mpc8220... (I thought to start from mcf53xx).

You (we) need to take the 8220(i) and merge it with the V4 ColdFire tree coming out in the next release of Uboot.

Wolfgang pointed out some good stuff.  We (Freescale) have plans to put out a Uboot for 547x, but it probably won't get done for a couple of months.  We'd be happy to work with you as we did the 8220(i) port originally.
I will happy to collaborate with you on the porting. Do you have any "early-vesion" of the port?

The key is that the 547x and 548x ColdFire parts use a micro-coded DMA engine.  So it is probably easier to get the FEC (ethernet) and DMA drivers from the 8220 code base.

Actually the following could be re-used from 8220(i)

DMA microcode
FEC (ethernet)
PSC (Uart)
FlexBus (which is the local bus)
DDR (SDRAM memory controller)
PCI support

The cache, USB, and IRQ controllers are different.  Those will need to be created.  As the USB is only a device only...it may have little reason to support in Uboot.

Let us know your thoughts.

-JWW

Thanks for your support,

luigi

0 Kudos

tsi-chung_liew
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Comio,

I am currently working on the port for 547x and 548x. The only port that needs is PCI and FEC. The basic requirements is working - (cache, uart, i2c, timer, watchdog, and flash - boot/code). If you need an early drop to evaluate, I can send you the binary file.

Please be patient. I will finish the port asap.

Note: Part of the 5329 port will not work on 547x/548x, especially the cache, timer and watchdog. If timer is not present, flash, i2c, fec will fail to work correctly.

Regards,
TsiChung
0 Kudos

kwong
Contributor I
If there's any type of beta code, I would also be very interested in giving it a spin.

Ken
0 Kudos

ssaban
Contributor I
I came across this forum searching for a u-boot port for the mcf5475 evb.
It appears as if work is being done. Has a port been released?

Thanks
Steve Saban
0 Kudos

comio
Contributor I
Now u-boot supports the 547x/548x cpus.

ciao
luigi
0 Kudos

comio
Contributor I
Hi tcliew,

sorry for my absence, but I worked on a different project during last two months.
Can you provide the source code? My project is based on a cf547x without pci and is a lot differet from the 547x evaluation board.

From your code I can start the development of the my board specific u-boot.

Thanks a lot,

luigi
0 Kudos

kwong
Contributor I
This is great news!  I'd love to help in whatever way I can to see this port become a success (provided I can squeeze some time out of my project manager).

Off the top of my head, I think I can squeeze in some testing time if you'd like the code to run on something more than the standard 5475evb type boards.  We currently have a number of boards based on the 5474, 5472, and 5475 with different sdram/flash configurations.

I might also be able to help with some of the development effort... I just need some direction.

Ken.
0 Kudos

w_wegner
Contributor III
Hi,

AFAIK there is no port for MCF547x/548x yet.
However, you should be able to start from MCF5329, for which exists a port. First starting points would be to make a subdirectory in cpu/ for the 5475, populate this and get the corresponding header files like m547x.h and immap547x.h.
Then continue with your board-specific code in boards/your_board_name/ and the config file in include/configs/your_board_name.h

There is also a document on the net previously mentioned in the U-Boot mailing list:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=674698&seqNum=4&rl=1

Getting the current source code including MCF5329 support and grepping through it for 5329 should point you to all places you need to touch, though. :smileywink:

For further questions, the U-Boot mailing list might be the best place to ask. There are at least some people actively working with coldfire.

Regards,
Wolfgang
0 Kudos