Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6D Android dpi setting.

Jump to solution
satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

I have a question about i.MX6DQ Android BSP (jb4.2.2_1.0.0).

Now, our partner set dpi=160 as following.

=====

device/fsl/sabresd_6dq/init.rc

# Set the density to 160dpi, default 128dpi is not good setprop

ro.sf.lcd_density 160

=====

Can they set the dpi to larger value?

Actually, the previous product is set it to 240dpi, so they are concerned that the screen image becomes rough.

If user cannot set lager dpi and dpi=160 is optimal value by some reason (e.g. it is defined by android), please tell me it.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Satoshi,

Yes, you can set a higher pixel density. I've seen customers that have gone up to 240dpi, but it would not work in particular apps and/or displays.

A value between 160-240 is the most common, but that would depend on your display.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Satoshi,

Yes, you can set a higher pixel density. I've seen customers that have gone up to 240dpi, but it would not work in particular apps and/or displays.

A value between 160-240 is the most common, but that would depend on your display.

0 Kudos
satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi SerchMX,

Our partner have to estimate how long time is needed to change the dpi.

If Freescale did not confirm the work and cannot guarantee the work when dpi=240, the partner should check all GUI whether those work fine or not by themselves and a lot of time is required to check.

I would appreciate it if you give a reply as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The dpi has to reflect a characteristic of the real screen connected to the device. It's a ration of pixel count over physical dimension. This value is expected to change, and it does affect how Android draws things...

Please read the following for reference: https://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

Changing resolution and dpi may impact performance though, but that does not mean that it should not be changed...

We cannot confirm it will work at 240 dpi.

Emloxu
Contributor I

Hi SerchMX,

I have a question about  i.MX6DQ Android BSP (jb4.2.2_1.0.0).

I set dpi=128 as following,

device/fsl/sabresd_6dq/init.rc

# Set the density to 160dpi, default 128dpi is not good setprop

ro.sf.lcd_density 128

but it would not work in particular apps and/or displays.when I click the Settings app,can't opened it and said "Sorry,Settings has stopped".Why it not work at 128 dpi (display 800X480P).

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi SerchMX,

Thank you for your reply.

OK, I understood user can set the dpi=240 to adapt a display.

However, according to your reply, I thought Freescale cannot guarantee the behavior of all apps in jb4.2.2_1.0.0 if dpi=240 because these are made for dpi=160.

Is this right?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

0 Kudos