cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6 PWM period

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Hello,

I would like to use the PWM output for something other than simple backlight control and this will require me to have a more accurate control over the period.

Is it possible to generate an accurate period with the PWM output?

In this case, I would like to generate a clock signal of 3.57MHZ with a duty cycle of 50%.

My question is essentially asking what the PWM control registers need to be set as to get as close as possible to this frequency of output.

In researching the datasheet, i see I can have prescallers of 1, /2, or /4096 with 3 different clock source options and the period register setting.

Has anyone used the PWM for anything other than backlight (where the period is not critical)?

Thanks
Brent

4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ottawa

I think pwm can be used for such purpose,

however one needs to have proper source clock for

it. Say for  3.57MHZ, it should be evenly divided by prescalers,

probably one will have to modify for such purpose some PLL value

with necessary clock.

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

I see. Thank you.

Do you know which clock is the best option for this?

Brent

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ottawa,

there are no much options,

ipg_clk

I think

Best regards

chip

0 Kudos

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Hmm,

Ok, thanks Chip,

Lets wait a while too see if anyone else has any ideas before we write this one off as closed.

Thanks

0 Kudos