Want to use RS08

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to use RS08

Sandeepsharma
Contributor I
Hi i want to use RS08 in my product, but someone told me that it can be programmed with Assembly Language only. But i know C.
Is it true.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Kirk
Contributor I
Byte Craft Limited offers a C compiler for RS08.

http://www.bytecraft.com

By way of contrast with other posts: RS08 is an ideal target for C programming. Its "reduced" architecture, both in programming model and in memory paging, represent extra complexity that developers shouldn't need to obsess over. Worry about your algorithm, and let the compiler worry about how and when to switch pages and so on.

We've found that efficient programming uses data types that match the programming problem. With C you gain access to a host of predefined data types and the optimization needed to integrate them.

Kirk Zurell
Byte Craft Limited
0 Kudos

Curt
Contributor IV
Since you know C Sandeep, you should be able to master assembly for the RS08 in a very short time -- and your product will benefit from the effort.  I'm very fond of the RS08, but if ever there was an MCU that _needs_ to be programmed in assembler, this is it. 

Work through some of the many assembly examples Freescale provides, and you'll be proficient in no time. 

Regards,
Curt
0 Kudos

CompilerGuru
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
I would say the smaller the device is the more it is important to also check the actual code generated.
With assembly you have full control and awareness of that, with C you have to at least occasionally check the compiler listings.
If you encode an "if this bit is set" in C or in assembly, the output wont differ much.

On the specific question for the RS08,
CW for Microcontrollers V6.0 ships with a RS08 C compiler stated as beta. AFAIK, officially HC08 V6.1 will
contain a non beta compiler for the RS08.

compiler release notes (in V6.0 layout):
...\Release_Notes\HC08\Notes_RS08_Compiler.txt

Also Bytecraft sells a compiler for the RS08, check their web page.

Daniel
0 Kudos