Did you mean: 

MQX in Kinetis Design Studio

Jump to solution
armada
Contributor II

After installing KDS and MQX 4.1 I noticed two things:

a) No demo projects as were available using CW 10.5

b) No option to create an MQX project in KDS

Am I missing something? How can I integrate MQX into KDS?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution
macl
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Official support of KDS in MQX is planned in MQX 4.2 & MQX 5.0 coming later this year. 

At that time MQX plug-ins for KDS (e.g. Task Aware Debug & New Project Wizard) will be available.  Also, MQX project files for all libraries and examples will be available for KDS. 

In the meantime, we will make available project examples for at least a single MQX supported platform (for the libraries and at least one example application) that can be built with KDS.  This will serve as a guide to anyone who wants to start working with MQX in KDS.  Please note, however, this will be early project files for early adopters and won’t be as rigorously tested as the official MQX releases are.

For MQX + KSDK, the MQX kernel is available today to be used with Kinetis SDK 1.0 beta.  This is provided in the MQX RTOS add-on package for KSDK. 

At the time of the next release of KSDK (1.0 GA), more MQX features are planned to be available including RTCS, MFS, and other components.  This MQX package that leverages KSDK will be known as MQX 5.0.  The first release is likely to be considered in beta state. 

Thanks!

Mac L

View solution in original post

12 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MQX 4.1 does not have KDS project files included. Going forward, MQX will be part (or integrated) in the Kinetis SDK. The MQX team is working on plugins and project files for KDS, but this has not been released yet.

0 Kudos
fernandoamorim
Contributor II

Erich, I understand that this will be released soon. But, for now, is there a way to manually do this intergration? I mean, integrate "KDS + KSDK + MQX" or "CW + KSDK + MQX"???

Thanks,

Fernando

0 Kudos
macl
Senior Contributor I

Hi,

Official support of KDS in MQX is planned in MQX 4.2 & MQX 5.0 coming later this year. 

At that time MQX plug-ins for KDS (e.g. Task Aware Debug & New Project Wizard) will be available.  Also, MQX project files for all libraries and examples will be available for KDS. 

In the meantime, we will make available project examples for at least a single MQX supported platform (for the libraries and at least one example application) that can be built with KDS.  This will serve as a guide to anyone who wants to start working with MQX in KDS.  Please note, however, this will be early project files for early adopters and won’t be as rigorously tested as the official MQX releases are.

For MQX + KSDK, the MQX kernel is available today to be used with Kinetis SDK 1.0 beta.  This is provided in the MQX RTOS add-on package for KSDK. 

At the time of the next release of KSDK (1.0 GA), more MQX features are planned to be available including RTCS, MFS, and other components.  This MQX package that leverages KSDK will be known as MQX 5.0.  The first release is likely to be considered in beta state. 

Thanks!

Mac L

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello macl,

As we know the MQX4.1.1 has include support for KDS,   and i want know dose the MQX4.1.1 is  beta release ? and dose the BSPCloningWizard will be available in MQX4.2?

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Alice

0 Kudos
macl
Senior Contributor I

UPDATES:

• KDS support is planned in the next releases of MQX RTOS v4.1.1 & MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK v1.1.0.  Both are currently scheduled for August. 

• You may have noticed some references to MQX 5.0 in my posts.  This is the previous internal code-name for MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK.  We are dropping the use of v5.0 and will use the same revision number of the Kinetis SDK in MQX RTOS releases that support releases of the Kinetis SDK.

• You can build existing MQX examples with KDS today using existing GNU tools support already in MQX RTOS v4.1.  This worked for me.  I can not guarantee that it will work for you, but you can try. 

Check out section 3 Using MQX Makefiles with Eclipse in the MQX_GNU_Getting_Started.pdf document in the /doc/tools/gnu folder in MQX RTOS files  (C:\Freescale\Freescale_MQX_4_1\doc\tools\gnu).

This section describes creating a new project in Eclipse and using the existing make files to build MQX libraries and examples.

Thanks,
Mac L

0 Kudos
fernandoamorim
Contributor II

Thank you macl!

0 Kudos
markschuck
Contributor II

Erich,

First let me say that i really like the latest KDS - seems to work well so far for me. The new UI for processor expert, while not functionally very different from the one in code warrior, is much more pleasant to work with...

Can you expand on the planned MQX integration with KDS?

Specifically, i am hoping that it will be integrated in a way similar to how you've already integrated MQX-Lite with processor expert. I really like that i can add/name tasks and select which components should be included (like lightweight events, mutexes, lightweight timers etc...).

This would be especially useful if you also included the existing MQX device stacks for networking, USB device/host etc...

Finally, will any of this MQX integration be included in the final 1.1 GA release that is expected later this summer?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
csjc
Contributor II

MQX sdk integration  was talked about at ftf with all the caveats that it is beta and subject to change; I was hoping some of the details were  in the slides but I did not see what I was remembering:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/training/doc/ftf/2014/FTF-SDS-F0127.pdf

The ksdk has a OS abstraction layer that supports bare-metal, MQX, FREERTOS, and one or two others (this is talked about in the pdf I linked).  the GA release may have the MQX kernal and use the middleware services provided by the SDK (example: the SDK USB stack is derived from the MQX and baremetal stacks).  The design was moving towards a decoupled version of MQX that leveraged the SDK code.

Erick did a FTF presentation on FreeRTOS integration with the SDK.

markschuck
Contributor II

Those links really helped, thanks!

0 Kudos
armada
Contributor II

Thanks for the update, Erich.

0 Kudos
amleng
Contributor IV

I have the same problem. I installed KDS and MQX 4.1 but I don't see any MQX plug-in in KDS. It also missed MQX project creation capabilities!

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

MQX has not released yet projects and plugins for KDS.

Erich

0 Kudos