Kinetis NAND Flash Controller (NFC) bug with large NAND devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis NAND Flash Controller (NFC) bug with large NAND devices

bowerymarc
Contributor V

I'm using the K20F120M with a Micron MT29F16G16ADACAH4 NAND flash.  This part has 2048 byte pages with 112 byte spare area.  It's a x16 part.

When I set the sector size in the NFC to 2161, the NFC's ECC does not work correctly.  It writes erroneous data and reads back erroneous data.  When the ECC is disabled the NFC functions normally.  2160 bytes is smaller than the buffer size of the NFC, so this should work.  If I set the sector size to 2113, it works ok, but that means I can only use 64 out of the 112 spare area bytes.  It seems the NFC's ECC doesn't actually work up to the full buffer size.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Marc,

Have you configured NFC_CFG[PAGECNT] correctly? I assume your page size is 2160 words (2048 + 112 words) = 4320 bytes. As it says in reference Manual, for devices with pages larger than 2KB, the pages are split into multiple virtual pages. In this case, the sector size is the size of the virtual page, where the virtual page is the physical page size divided by the splitting factor, NFC_CFG[PAGECNT].

Regards,

Carlos

0 Kudos

bowerymarc
Contributor V

Hi Carlos,

Please re-read my post carefully.  Check the flash data sheet, you can google the part number I gave. Your assumptions are incorrect. 

Regards,

Marc

0 Kudos