AnsweredAssumed Answered

Codewarrior will no longer be supporting new Kinetis parts????

Question asked by samsaprunoff on Apr 15, 2014
Latest reply on May 2, 2014 by Iain Galloway

Good day All,

I just received an announcement from Freescale that any all new (i.e. after May 2014) Kinetis parts will no longer be supported by Codewarrior and that one will need to use yet another software tool... either one from the standard commercial vendors (i.e.Keil, IAR, etc) or the newly released Kinetis Design Studio IDE...

Dear Valued Freescale Customer,

Please be advised of a change coming to the Freescale CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers product that affects only users of Freescale Kinetis microcontrollers.

The current Kinetis portfolio of ARM® Cortex®-M4 and Cortex-M0+ MCUs is and will continue to be supported in the Eclipse-based CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers product.  However, new Kinetis devices introduced after the recent release of CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers v10.6 (released on April 2), will not be supported.

What does this mean?  There is no immediate action required.  However, as you integrate new Kinetis devices (those released from May 2014 onward) into your solutions, you will need to migrate to one of the following integrated development environments:

1. One of the Freescale Kinetis MCU featured IDEs à www.freescale.com/KIDE
    • Atollic®
    • Green Hills Software®
    • IAR Systems®
    • Keil®
  2. Kinetis Design Studio IDE from Freescale à www.freescale.com/KDS
  3. Other Kinetis tools option

This is somewhat nasty, as now Codewarrior - Kinetis users will have yet another software tool to support, learn, etc, but also this has the potential to fragment current and future Kinetis projects..  Perhaps I am being too responsive to this announcement and perhaps the complementary KDS will be great, but this just seems extreme.  May I ask as to what is the motivation to do this?

Cheers,

Sam

Outcomes