cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing MFS on an unformatted drive?

Jump to solution
ironsean
Contributor V

I am having trouble installing MFS on unformatted Flash memory.

I can access the memory with FlashX, and write and read from it directly.

I can install the Partition Manager over it, and attempt to install MFS on top of that, and can sometimes get MFS to format the underlying flash, but it will not read or write files at that point.

I am wondering if the issue is that on the FlashX I am not creating a partition, just installing the Partition Manager over a disk with no MRB, partition data, or anything else. MFS was able to format the disk space to some degree, but only after I had written content with flashX and it was never working properly.

Are there any application notes or examples which take unformatted memory, and create partitions then MFS installs? All the MFSUG examples assume you're working on an SD card or other memory that has been formatted by an external system.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ironsean
Contributor V

I solved this problem by removing the partition manager from the equation(and therefore eliminating the need to create a new partition) and instead installed directly to the flash memory space I had allocated as a flashX device.

The next issue is the file changes wouldn't not necessarily write upon closing the file, but instead seemed to be waiting for a manual call, or requiring the MFS itself to be uninstalled to trigger the full write. By switching the cache modes in MFS to write-through for both FAT and files, I was able to get files writing consistently after calling those functions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ironsean
Contributor V

I solved this problem by removing the partition manager from the equation(and therefore eliminating the need to create a new partition) and instead installed directly to the flash memory space I had allocated as a flashX device.

The next issue is the file changes wouldn't not necessarily write upon closing the file, but instead seemed to be waiting for a manual call, or requiring the MFS itself to be uninstalled to trigger the full write. By switching the cache modes in MFS to write-through for both FAT and files, I was able to get files writing consistently after calling those functions.

0 Kudos
soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Please check the below thread and let me know if this helps.

MFS files not writing to memory.

Have a great day,
Regards
Sol
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
ironsean
Contributor V

That was actually my own question relating to a different aspect of this same problem. However, I did find out that MFS is formatting properly, the section of memory that appeared to format was just cleared for the FAT and formatting information, and the section that appeared not to be formatted was in fact just untouched because it was meant for data.

I am still not sure how to properly partition the flash memory, but am going to disregard it for now as using MFS directly appears to work alright.

0 Kudos