Unable to debug frdm-ke02z using pemicro osjtag

prosperi_france
Contributor II

Hi all,

My platform:

Windows XP 32bit

KEIL uVision 5.10.0.2

Board: FRDM-KE02Z

EDIT: The board is already in debugging mode (flashing DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_v106.SDA from KE02_QSP).

Following the howtos from freescale for debugging my application inside uvision using pemicro osjtag,

I tried to install the Freescale Kinetis OSJTAG Drivers V1.18 (fslkinetisdriversv118.exe).

I received errors on each driver the procedure tried to install.

So I opened the Device Manager panel and installed manually from the folder C:\Pemicro with success.

Now I have two devices said to be "correctly working" in the Device Manager panel:

Jungo / PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver

Ports / OpenSDA CDC Serial Port (COM14)

After building the platinum project (ke02_sc.zip) for uvision i tried entering debug.

PEMicro Connection Manager showed up and I selected "OpenSDA Embedded Tower Debug - USB Port".

Unfortunately, the label Port under the selector says: Undetected. Disconnect/Connect USB cable. Click Refresh List.

I tried a few times but nothing happened.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the support.

EDIT: I tried CMSIS-DAP_OpenSDA.S19 in conjunction with CMSIS-DAP Debugger (uVision debug settings).

The debugging and flashing activities work fine but the CDC serial port is missing.

Francesco

6 Replies

anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You may just need to update the OpenSDA firmware and program. Older versions of that program don't have CDC support included with debugging/flashing, but the latest version does. Check out this page for details on how to update OpenSDA

http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-65460/l/opensda-update-instructions-for-freescale-freedo...

You can donwload it from here: http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/

-Anthony

0 Kudos

prosperi_france
Contributor II

Hi Anthony,

thanks for the reply.

I have updated the bootloader program to version 1.11 (the older was 1.10).

Then I have tried alla the previous .sda files with no apparent improvement:

i.e. CMSIS-DAP_OpenSDA.S19 does not show any CDC serial port.

Does a newer CMSIS DAP sda file exist?

FP

0 Kudos

anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francesco,

Make sure you try the MSD-Debug app that came as part of that P&E Micro download. It's the MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KE02Z_Pemicro_v114.SDA file. Also try deleting any drivers associated with it when you plug in the board, and then let it try to re-enumerate on its own.

There isn't a newer CMSIS DAP binary for FRDM-KE02Z outside of that QSP that you already have that I'm aware of. There are some updated versions on the open-sourced repository of CMSIS-DAP, but there's not one specifically for the KE02. You could try maybe the KL02 version, that may work. https://github.com/mbedmicro/CMSIS-DAP

-Anthony

0 Kudos

prosperi_france
Contributor II

Hi Anthony,

I tried that file (MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KE02Z_Pemicro_v114.SDA) also on another pc (Windows 7 64bit).

Also tried to delete associated drivers but the same drivers were automatically chosen.

Have you ever seen this approach working?

Was it supposed to be written in the P&E Connection Manager Port details?

0 Kudos

anthony_huereca
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francesco,

I don't have a FRDM-KE02Z on me, but I have used the P&E connection with Keil on other Freedom boards, like the FRDM-KL26Z.

Here is what the "SDA_INFO.HTM" webpage, located in the mass storage device that comes up, gives me on the KL26Z. It should look the same for you except with a different board name:

pastedImage_1.png

Here is what it should look like under Device Manager:

pastedImage_2.png

And in the Driver details for the PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver:

pastedImage_4.png

Here is what the Keil settings should look like:

pastedImage_3.png

Also maybe try installing the P&E Drivers: http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=301

My best guess is since you said the initial driver installation didn't work, something's gone wonky with the driver being used by Windows when you plug in the board. I assume you can drag-and-drop flash the board with the pre-compiled binaries using the MSD flash programmer in Windows Explorer?

0 Kudos

francescoprospe
Contributor II

Hi Anthony,

I managed to get it working on a Windows 8 pc with the MSD-DEBUG-114.sda.

Same steps done with the XP and 7 ones.

Thanks for the support.

Regards,

FP

0 Kudos