cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX53 and MCIMX-LVDS1 display kit

Jump to solution
jill
Contributor II

I have a i.MX53 board which is currently being used with a VGA display. I want to set it up to use a LVDS1 display instead.

According to the quick start guide we are supposed to enable the LVDS output using U-Boot. Is U-Boot already installed along with the Ubuntu that comes with the 4 GB Micro SD card or do I have to install it myself?

Labels (3)
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jill,

U-boot is already installed on SD card. Yes, to change the booting arguments, you need

to connect PC to the board with the serial cable (RS-232).

View solution in original post

8 Replies
SergioSolis
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think it is already set up to output through LVDS.

You need to modify the booting arguments to send the output to LVDS instead of VGA.

Please take a look at the user guide to modify the arguments to use LVDS (attached)

Best regards,
Sergio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
jill
Contributor II

Thank you for your reply.

I've already read the user guide. My doubt is whether I'll have to install U-Boot myself or if it is already preinstalled on the provided micro SD card (which contains Linux).

I'm asking this because I have limited access to the board. If I have to install U-Boot I'd like to know beforehand so that I can be prepared for it. If it's already installed and I only have to change the booting arguments then that's easy. An additional question, to change the booting arguments do I need to connect to the board using the serial cable (RS-232)?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jill,

U-boot is already installed on SD card. Yes, to change the booting arguments, you need

to connect PC to the board with the serial cable (RS-232).

jill
Contributor II

Hi,

Do you know if it is possible to change the U-Boot variables without the serial cable (RS-232)? For example, directly from the Ubuntu that comes pre-installed on the SD card.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I don't think it is possible.

What is the issue on getting a serial cable? ;-)

0 Kudos
jill
Contributor II

Oh, my computer doesn't even have a serial port! :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Mine doesn't as well. You can get a USB to serial adapter :-)

0 Kudos
jill
Contributor II

Good idea, thank you!

0 Kudos