Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up the System Clock and WDOG timeout

Jump to solution
pascalschröer
Contributor V

Hi, I hope anyone can help me....

First of all, my facts:

I'm using CW V.1.4 (without PEX), to program a MK20DX128 (50MHz)  There aren't any Problems while compilation but it doesn't work anyway.

I would like to generate a system clock of 48MHz with the help of the PLL and an external oszillator of 8MHz.

So I followed the datasheet to change the mode from FEI to PEE (see my zip file CLOCK.c // CLOCK_init())

Is there a fault in this initialisaton?

So in my opinion it should work^^ Now I would like to set up the WDOG timeout and there is my main problem!

I made the following calculation:

I have got a 48MHz System Clock => 1/48MHz = 20,83ns per tick

I have got two 16bit Timout Registers for the WDOG so there are 32bit in addition. => 2^32 = 4,294,967,296

Now I multiply the seconds per tick and the WDOG Register Value!

=> 20,83ns * 4,294,967,296 = 89,46s

There is the probelem! I have measuered the time and get a time of only 44,7s!!! So it's exactly the half time. Where is my fault in this calculation?

By the way I have got the same fault while using the PIT Module!

Thanks a lot to all!

Pascal

Original Attachment has been moved to: CLOCK.c.zip

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pascalschröer
Contributor V

Okay but if the BUS clk is 1/2 core clock the WDOG should reset every second time periods or?

I think I have solved the problem with setting the MCG_C2 register from 0x1C to 0x2C... now it works

like I would expect it :smileyhappy:

regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
apanecatl
Senior Contributor II

I think you are not taking into consideration the COP/Watchdog does not use the Core clock as a reference but the BUS clk, which is 1/2 the core clock; thus the reason to observe only half the time period.

0 Kudos
pascalschröer
Contributor V

Okay but if the BUS clk is 1/2 core clock the WDOG should reset every second time periods or?

I think I have solved the problem with setting the MCG_C2 register from 0x1C to 0x2C... now it works

like I would expect it :smileyhappy:

regards

0 Kudos