cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugger loses target connection

Jump to solution
tommichalski
Contributor II

I'm in the process of moving from CW 7.2 to CW 10.5 after years of using 7.2.  I've found there seem to be many ways to break things in CW 10.5 that I've stumbled upon.  I've finally got a project set up the way I'd like and it builds great.  I can use a task to erase and program my target (MCF55258) using a P&E USB-ML-CF Rev D.  The program executes as desired but if I use the Debugger and allow the target to run with no expected breakpoint, the Debugger will fail in about 3 seconds saying it lost its connection with the target.  I know in CW 7.2 I could let it run indefinitely and then break back in and suspend.  Anyone have an idea what I might have done to get this behavior?  (I assume this is an anomaly isn't it?)

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
tommichalski
Contributor II

Hello All,

Jorge seems to have come close to what I found the problem to be, or more correctly, what I did to eliminate the problem.  It was a simple fix, since we merely removed the link between the earth ground lug and the negative terminal of the lab power supply.  The only explanation we could come up with, was a ground loop was being created and it  introduced noise when the power supply load was increased by activating an MCU output.  We zeroed in on this issue by locating the section of code that caused the Debugger to Disconnect and eventually found a single statement.  However, when we tried to connect  a scope to monitor the BDM signals the problem stopped happening!   That's why we ended up examining the power connections.

Regards,:smileyhappy:

Tom Michalski

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tommichalski
Contributor II

Hello All,

Jorge seems to have come close to what I found the problem to be, or more correctly, what I did to eliminate the problem.  It was a simple fix, since we merely removed the link between the earth ground lug and the negative terminal of the lab power supply.  The only explanation we could come up with, was a ground loop was being created and it  introduced noise when the power supply load was increased by activating an MCU output.  We zeroed in on this issue by locating the section of code that caused the Debugger to Disconnect and eventually found a single statement.  However, when we tried to connect  a scope to monitor the BDM signals the problem stopped happening!   That's why we ended up examining the power connections.

Regards,:smileyhappy:

Tom Michalski

0 Kudos
eddiewu
Contributor I

Hi Tom,

I meet this issue now, how to fix it?

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Tom:

I have seen connection lost in cases when changing clock configuration (maybe the core too fast for the debugger tool)  or when entering a low power mode. Even a watchdog enabled might cause the processor to reset and lose connection with the debugger

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos
Wlodek_D_
Senior Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your post, however please consider moving it to the right community place (e.g. CodeWarrior Development Tools) to get it visible for active members.

For details please see general advice Where to post a Discussion?

Thank you for using Freescale Community.

0 Kudos
tommichalski
Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback.  I have moved it as you suggested.

0 Kudos