Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reprogramming GT16A

maik76
Contributor I
Hello,
I need your help.

I tried to program the GT16 with the CW5.1 and the inDART-HCS08 Programmer. The first two times the procedure (Debug in CW) works. The third try didn't work. It is not possible to connect to the uC. We tested a second device, and the result ist the same.

The tools from softec-micro reports for all operations a comminications error.

How can we reprogramm this devices?

Thanks
Maik

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

jtjans
Contributor I
    Hi Maik

I have same problem with GT16A.  Have a target with GT16 and using P&E Multilink has many bugs (e.g. Illegal breakpoints and Triggers A&B encountered when no breakpoints or triggers are set.)  Connected inDART and it worked well.  New target is essentally the same with same code but has GT16A processor.  Multilink works after I downloaded 16A library but has same bugs as before.  Also just downloaded latest drivers for Multilink. No help.  Tried inDART and get no connect - communications error.  I e-mailed softec for a 16A upgrade.  No answer as yet.

Does anyone know about a development system for the freescale 9S08G processors that actually works?
0 Kudos

Midas
Contributor I
Hi jtjans,

Have you took well with the AP-Note of migration from GT16 to GT16A yet..??
If you had done,you should have simple firmware modification from this note's highlights and well you might been got the answer against linkage between CW and
USB-BDM.

In the mean time,what reversion of your USB-BDM tool..?? B or C..??
0 Kudos

jtjans
Contributor I
    to program the 9S08GT16A with the SofTech product needs the new inDART-one.  The older inDART product does not have the library available for the A versions.  also had to download Codewarrior 6.0.

jack
0 Kudos

maik76
Contributor I
Thanks for this information.
We use the P&E, this works with the older hardware (from 2004).
But it's not why the programming works the first two times and then not.
Why do i have to upgrade the IDE if the problem is in the programmer(hardware)? Our licence ist only for CW5.0.

Regards
Maik
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Maik,

I don't really know what is the exact cause of your problems, but can offer the following:

You can get the latest programming files from pemicro.com for P&E, not sure about Softec.
You could also get them from a later CW version and still use them with your older 5.0 version. There are no checks done at this level.

As I have noted elsewhere you can just use the GT16A P&E algo for both GT16 and GT16A. If it weren't for a bug in the GT16 version that was exposed by changes in the GT16A there would have been no need to update it at all.

I have devices in prototypes that have probably been re-programmed 100 times with no noticeable differences. This is using P&E USB multilink and P&E stand alone software (which is essentially the same as contained in CW.

0 Kudos

maik76
Contributor I
The cause of the Problem semms to be the inDART itself, or the support for it.

Nobody knows about this problem and a difference between the GT16 and GT16A. Softec (inDART) doesn't support this device (only GT16). But if i buy a programmer for the HCS08-Series, then i want to use it for the whole series.
I'm not interested to spend more time in this problem. I know that we can't use this programmer for the GT16A and that's it.

0 Kudos

Encoder
Contributor I
Hi Maik.
Before going further, I suggest to try CW5 on another PC.

I have big or unsurmontable difficulties to communicate with an 9S08AW60 to write programs longer than 2-3kB with my speedy Athlon 64 3200+.

No problem at all with a slower Athlon 2600 or with an even slower notebook. In my case I think it depends on background programs on the main, speedier PC which performs satisfactory for practically any other (not real time) task.

Good luck,
Encoder
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Maik,

Not familiar at all with the softec tools but I note you have mentioned GT16 and GT16A in your post.
With the P&E tools the specific algorithm for each of these types is required.
If Softec has two as well you are not mixing them up perhaps?

0 Kudos

maik76
Contributor I
Hi Peg,
the Softec SW (DataBlazer) doesn't know a 16A, in the com-settings for Softec inDART (Debugger of CW) there is preselected a 16A.

I just compared the two program algorithm (16, 16A) of the PE (device is currently not available) and there is no difference in the code only the header and the checksum of the files differ.

My problem is that we could program the uC two times and then it could not be connected to the device. If the program-algorithm doesn't work, then the second try should failed but not the third? I'm not sure.

We used here only the standard settings of the Codewarrior for the 16A-type. All other changes are tested after getting this error.

Regards
Maik

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Maik,
I have never tried to find the difference between the two but the GT algo WILL NOT programme a GTA. There is a post here from a couple of months ago  where someone could not get the GT algo to do a GTA and I confirmed that this was the case. I don't know why this is the case as they are only very slightly different devices and the flash should be the same. I also realise it does not really fit your symptoms but still thought it worth mentioning.

0 Kudos