increase CPU/GPU frequency on iMX6 Solo

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase CPU/GPU frequency on iMX6 Solo

tselmeci
Contributor IV

The processor is iMX6Solo (Wandboard Solo), my application decodes H264 streams in 1920x1088 resolution with VPU, and in case of certain streams decoding a frame lasts up to ~32ms. This wouldn't be too much, but displaying it with OpenGL (glTexDirectVIVMap) takes 15-16ms, so if I sum these up it's over 40ms which is the target for the framerate (25 FPS).

The OpenGL ES shader is so simple that I can't believe it's wrong. Vivante has native support for YUV textures, so the YUV --> RGB conversion is also performed by the GPU.

Somehow I need to improve the performance.

Can I easily boost CPU frequency e.g. to 1100 MHz just by changing the CPU freq work points in the kernel?

Is there any way to boost GPU/VPU clock?

I've seen in the kernel an option to increase VPU clock to 352 MHz, but it's said to be experimental. I'd be satisfied with a moderate (e.g.10-20%) increase in the clock as well, provided the machine remains stable.

(If not the GPU is the proper way to display my VPU frames, then what? IPU is way too slow. Shall I use G2D API? I haven't found any example code for that...)

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

dilipkumar
Contributor III

Bump. Did you make any headway in this case? Your feedback would be helpful.

Also you can find example for using the G2D apis in the gpu-viv-bin-mx6q-3.0.35-4.1.0 package provided by freescale. I think its actual name is vivante vdk in the freescale download site. I'm using an older version. they might have updated the package in the mean time. You can find some example code in the directory usr/share/imx-gpu/g2d/test/ inside this package.

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

User can use the script that is provided in fsl release BSP "/unit_test/dump-clocks.sh" the output will display the current config frequency for clocks available.

Also check the Chapter 13 CPU Frequency Scaling (CPUFREQ) Driver of the i.MX6SL Linux BSP reference manual.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos