AnsweredAssumed Answered

AR4100P tower connectivity issues w/ linux, android, blackberry devices

Question asked by Kai Falkenberg on Mar 7, 2014
Latest reply on Mar 13, 2014 by Kai Falkenberg

Hi,

I followed these instructions to install the AR4100 demo software.

First of all the httpsrv demo project for the K60 board did not compile. I had to add #include "user_config.h" to demo/init_enet.h to make it compile. I'm not sure if I made a mistake elsewhere (which I doubt, because the instructions basically said to copy user_config.h to the right place and then you're good to go) or if this has never been tested by Freescale...

Now, in the default setup the AR4100P is configured in managed mode. In this mode I can't find the network LINKS4S_TEST at all, no matter which operating system my client runs.

I changed to ad-hoc mode and now I can connect to the ad-hoc network and also to the webserver if I use a Windows or iPhone client. Unfortunately android phones won't see the network at all and a linux laptop can connect to the network but IP wont work (to be more precise ARP resolution does not work between the AR4100 and the linux box).

Has one of you experienced the same issues? Am I doing something fundametally wrong?

Also a second, more general question:

My plan is to build a device that can serve a simple webpage and tranfer (encrypted) data to a wifi client device (phone, tablet, laptop). I'm wondering now which wifi mode is the right for my use case. I guess the simplest mode would be an unencrypted ad-hoc network, which would be okay because the actual data is already encrypted. But extra security never hurts, I guess. I have read about WiFi protected that allows a very easy connection process via PIN or button. But which wifi mode do I have to choose here? managed, ad-hoc, soft-ap? Is there a good example that teaches me how to set up such a connection? I need this to work with every major OS. Is WiFi protected not only implemented on phones/tablets, but also on Windows/Linux?

Kind regards,

Kai

Outcomes