does anybody know what is the worst case total current of MKL04z8vfk4 if I hold reset pin( pin 23, PTA1_IRQ1) low.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does anybody know what is the worst case total current of MKL04z8vfk4 if I hold reset pin( pin 23, PTA1_IRQ1) low.

Jump to solution
davidsun
Contributor II

Hello,

I am working on a small MKL04z8vfk4 system, I notice the current consumption is 2mA higher than I expected when I hold the reset pin low during the measurement.

is this number specified in data sheet. I am going to remove the chip to measure it again. hope someone can give me some suggestion so I don't need to waste a board.

Sincerely,

David

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davidsun,

Thanks for your reply! I don't have KL04 on hand, however I have KL05. Regarding to your question, I've like to list the answers as follow.

1.if I need to know what is the current consumed by MKL04z8vfk4. do you think the best way is to remove this chip on the board?

If you want to know the current consumption of KL04 in different modes, you could find the specification in KL04's datasheet(5.2.5 Power consumption operating behaviors).

2. how to set this chip to deep sleep mode to make it consume the minimum current?

I've attached a demo code about KL05's low power mode and I think it's useful for reference.
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davidsun,

I've had a brief look through your question and I'd like to confirm some points from you befroe answer this question.

1. what's kind of function does the PTA1 work ? Reset pin or normal pin?

2. what's kind of mode does the MCU enter while you measuered the current?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Ping

0 Kudos
davidsun
Contributor II

one more question, I didn't get an email after you send me first reply. is there a way to enable email acknowledge.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davidsun,

Thanks for your reply, In my opinion, I think that the MCU will always repeat boot sequence while the Reset pin is kept low even MCU hasn't been programed.

So it's normal to consume some power. You can click the icon 【Following in】 and just select all, then you will get an email immediately when there's new reply happen!

Hope this reply help.

Have a great day,

Ping

2.jpg

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
davidsun
Contributor II

do you have this chip by hand, do you have a rough number? if I need to know what is the current consumed by MKL04z8vfk4. do you think the best way is to remove this chip on the board?

how to set this chip to deep sleep mode to make it consume the minimum current?

thanks

David

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davidsun,

Thanks for your reply! I don't have KL04 on hand, however I have KL05. Regarding to your question, I've like to list the answers as follow.

1.if I need to know what is the current consumed by MKL04z8vfk4. do you think the best way is to remove this chip on the board?

If you want to know the current consumption of KL04 in different modes, you could find the specification in KL04's datasheet(5.2.5 Power consumption operating behaviors).

2. how to set this chip to deep sleep mode to make it consume the minimum current?

I've attached a demo code about KL05's low power mode and I think it's useful for reference.
Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos
davidsun
Contributor II

Hi Ping,

thank you very much, per my understanding, even I pull the reset pin to low. the power it consume may be more than I release the reset pin but set it run in deep sleep mode.

I will try your low power demo first later, I have never run a program on this chip before except on a training freescale training class. the easiest way for me to get this clear is to remove the chip.

Best

David

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davidsun,

Regarding to your opinion, I think you are correct, the current consumption of deep sleep mode is less than MCU works while reset pin is kept low.

If you have any further questions about it, please feel free to conatct with me.
Have a great day.
Ping

0 Kudos
davidsun
Contributor II

Hi Ping,

this is the first time I use this chip. in fact it is a backup chip for my new design. I never programed this chip yet. it is a brand new chip. I pull down the PTA1 to ground by a 47K resistor. I thought this will automatically disable all IO pins( put them in high Z state), and the core will be in none active mode and almost not consume any power. but I found the my system now consume 2 to 3 mA more than that without this chip.

for a brand new chip without any program in it. if we pull PTA1 to ground by a 47K resistor( the voltage is very close to 0V). will this chip consume any power. ( note some of the IO pin are shared with other circuit, could be in any logic state).

thank you

David Sun

0 Kudos