How to get a GUI after installing Linux Demo image on i.mx6 duallite sabreSD?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a GUI after installing Linux Demo image on i.mx6 duallite sabreSD?

sachithrapramud
Contributor I

After days work, I can see the two penguins on the display. Also,in the console i have logged in as root.

I am using J509 port for communicating. I tried sending simple linux commands like, cd,ls,mkdir and etc. They all work fine.

'dpkg' command didn't work. i tried to ping to router it didn't work either. command gcc doesn't work. So, I believe there's not any compiler as well.

What I want right now is to see Ubuntu desktop on the display. I am not happy with these penguins anymore.

I need to have a working internet connection and ability to install and update.

If anyone can guide me that'd be great help.

Secondly, I'll be thankful if someone can explain what is this LTIB for? I thought that'd help solve my earlier problem and tried to get it build for days but

still no luck. I am using ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Is there a way to get the above job done easily? like without going through the installation process of LTIB?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1) *what* linux demo image are you using? Some demo images does not have a GUI..... that's why I need to understand what you've been doing

*dpkg* or *gcc* is not a usual command in demo images, it may explain why you cannot get it working on your side.

2) you cannot ping, but, do you have an IP address?

3) Do you really need *Ubuntu* or any graphical backend?

4) LTIB is a root file system compiler. Or, in other words is the script that takes all packages and build it, including bootloader and kernel. http://ltib.org/

LTIB was used as Freescale default rootfs builder until 4.1.0. Next Freescale release is going to be released using Yocto Project.

Is there a way to get the above job done easily? like without going through the installation process of LTIB?

no

sachithrapramud
Contributor I

Thank u for the reply Daiane,

There's been a development. I could successfully install LTIB. So, now it's up and running. Here's what u wanna know.

1.) I was using, Linux Demo image provided by freescale, Oneiric.tgz. Is there's a list of commands available somewhere? That'll be good for my knowledge so that I can play with the board a little bit.

2) Yes, I didn't have an IP address, DUMB ME! :/
     How do I assign ip Address, as I remember ipconfig didn't work either.

3) Yes I do need a Graphical Backend. Actually, I need to use Debian Linux 6.0 or any other version close by on this platform. Is this operating system available for this architecture? if it doesn't what are my options? If I have to make a custom Kernal or something.. i really have no idea, how long will it take to get this particular OS running on the board?

4) How do I install all the drivers on to the board? Because I can try some stuff as I have a SD card with Oneiric running now. I can't see a way to install drivers to use bluetooth or Ethernet.

Thanks again for ur answer, kinda encouraged me to get LTIB worked on.

0 Kudos

daiane_angolini
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1) Have you downloaded the Doc Bundle?

2) dhcpd

3) I have no idea regarding Debian for ARM. I think you may get help from Debian community/wiki in this regards.

kernel: If you´re going to use a already supported board, you don´t need to care about this. But if you´re developing your hardware, next natural step is add support to your board in some kernel.

how long? I have no idea.

4) What do you mean by "drivers"? the kernel modules, the files *.ko?

make defconfig

make uImage

make modules

make modules install INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/lalalala

0 Kudos