Why can I download and "debug", "connect", and/or "attach" to my code in Flash to execute it but not "run" it or "disconnect" from it without terminating execution?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can I download and "debug", "connect", and/or "attach" to my code in Flash to execute it but not "run" it or "disconnect" from it without terminating execution?

gschup
Contributor I

I am wondering if there is a limitation in Code Warrior that prevents one from flashing the code and then running it in a standalone manner.   I also wonder if the type of license restricts the ability to program a target system.

Could an expired license prevent "running" but not "debug" mode?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

gschup
Contributor I

I have resolved my auto-start problem and I am now successfully executing code in “debug” and “run” mode, and in standalone mode with the debug link physically disconnected.

Previously,  I experienced the same auto-start problem on three different hardware platforms.  One Kinetis K20 and two custom hardware platforms.  I also experienced the same problem using Code Warrior 10.2 and 10.5, regardless of whether I was using the OSJTAG or PnE MultiLink debug link.  I am still working through the steps I took to correct the multiple problems I was having, but it appears that the primary cause of my auto-start problem may have been the fact that I had a “printf” in my code.  I will double check next week, but it appears that the support for the “printf”, which allows the developer to write text to the console window, does not ignore the fact that the debug link is disconnected, logically or physically.  As a result, the code stops executing.  If this is true, there must be a way to resolve this in the CodeWarrior / Processor Expert development environment without explicitly removing the “printf” commands from the code.  As you know, not all projects have a serial output port enabled and the use of “printf” commands to present messages to the console window when connected to the target is an extremely valuable tool.

0 Kudos

TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Could you please supply the CodeWarrior version you are using, as well as the part number of your target MCU or Processor? Thanks!

0 Kudos