how to enable ECC on OCRAM and DDR3 with TWR-VF65GS10 board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to enable ECC on OCRAM and DDR3 with TWR-VF65GS10 board

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

for our application , we need to  enable ECC in OCRAM and DDR3 and  we use Vybrid Tower kit TWR-VF65GS10.

1) On-Chip Memory Controllers

In chapter 65 of Vybrid reference manual version 5 , it is written

"... The OCRAM_sys ECC function can be summarized in the following steps. Consider reads and writes

separately.

For data writes received by the OCRAM_sys memory controller:

• If enabled, the ECC logic generates the 8-bit checkbit field based on the 29-bit address + 64-bit data

• The 64 data bits + 8 checkbits are stored in the memory  ...

&

Note standard ECC operation requires that the entire memory be written during system startup to

“initialize” correct checkbit values for all locations before read operations can be checked. To assist in this

process, the device implements two independent control flags for each OCRAM_sys controller: one that

enables checkbit generation on writes and another to enable checking on read operations. The memory

initialization writes can be performed directly by a processor or an appropriately configured DMA

channel."

When I am reading the paragrah above  , it seem we need to enable and modify some register to activate the ECC but I have searched in reference Manual and I didn't find how initialize the controller to activate ECC

What is the process to enable the ECC on OCRAM ?

2) DDR3

I use the following procedure to enable ECC on DDR3

- I written the field ctrl-raw with value " ECC reporting is on, but no attempts to correct. or ECC reporting and correcting on"   in register DDRMC_CR_57

- I set  the field REDUC in register DDRMC_78

- I initialize the DDR3 with value 0xFFFFFFFF

- I enable the DDRMC interrupt to catch any issue

When I read the DDR3  memory with the following width32, 64, 128, 256 bits , it's OK

When I written the  DDR3  memory with the following width  128, 256 bits , it's OK

but  I written the  DDR3  memory with the following width 32 or 64 bits , then the cortex A5 crashed and I need push the button reset

is that someone has already had this problem?

Thanks for any help

Regards

FRancois

Labels (6)
45 Replies

naoumgitnik
Senior Contributor V

(corrected)

Dear Francois,

Regarding the OCRAM ECC part of your request...

The below statements from our current Datasheet and Reference Manual:

• "1.5 MB on-chip SRAM with ECC on 512 KB SRAM",
  • "512 KB On-Chip SRAM with ECC",

as well as 'Figure 2-1. Detailed Block Diagram' and 'Table 2-2. Device Configuration', make it look like the ECC feature cannot be controlled.

At the same time, based on the older Reference Manual contents, it looks like that the ECC feature can be controlled. It is not fully clear yet why this information has been deleted, most likely based on assumption that this feature would be used quite rarely, if at all.

Work on the new Reference Manual is in progress, and possibly this information will be added into it. Since this information is considered  "Confidential and Proprietary", until then, you will have to turn to our local FAE to download it from the Freescale internal thread Enabling Vybrid ECC on OCRAM.

Regards, Naoum Gitnik.

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi naoum

1)

In chapter 65 page 3468

"

The OCRAM_sys ECC function can be summarized in the following steps. Consider reads and writes separately.

For data writes received by the OCRAM_sys memory controller:

• If enabled, the ECC logic generates the 8-bit checkbit field based on the 29-bit address + 64-bit data

For data reads processed by the OCRAM_sys memory controller:

• The memory reads the addressed location returning 64 data bits + 8 checkbits

• If enabled, the ECC logic forms an 8-bit syndrome which is the XOR of the 8 checkbits read from

memory and the (re)calculated checkbits formed by passing the 64 data bits (plus the address field

checkbits) through the H-matrix logic. An all-zero syndrome indicates an error-free memory read,

else a memory corruption event has occurred."

For me , it 's written " If enable "  , so we can disable ECC

2) If ECC is always enable then the boot rom should be initialiaze the OCRAM as describe in capter 65.1.

"Note standard ECC operation requires that the entire memory be written during system startup to

“initialize” correct checkbit values for all locations before read operations can be checked."

but it's seems the boot don't initialize the OCRAM and if after the boot my code Read the OCRAM , I don't have any ECC error

What is it the OCRAM ECC state after the boot ?

if enable , why we don't have any ECC error interrupt when we read this memory

If disable , how I enable the ECC ?

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Franois,

The default state for OCRAM ECC check is disabled. OCRAM ECC can be set in using on chip memory controller - not described in RM rev.5. Please wait for full description. We are working on it.

/Jiri

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi all

ECC OCRAM

We will wait the full version and we have contact our FAE to have this documentation Enabling Vybrid ECC on OCRAM.

ECC DDR3

About our issue with ECC on DDR3 describe in this discussion  , Can someone help us understand the behavior ?

BR

francois

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Franois,

great - so now you have all necessary data for OCRAM I guess :smileyhappy:. Regarding SDRAM (DDR). I guess that you use CPU to init SDRAM memory. Please set DDRMC_CR058[ECC_DIS_WCRER] prior to fill the memory - more in RM chapter 34.6.5.1 Initialization of memory when using ECC.

/* Re-configure the DDR controller for an 8-bit port width */

reg32_write(DDR_CR078, 0x0000010c);    // reduc = 1

/* Enable ECC - reporting and correcting on */

reg32_write(DDR_CR057, 0x03000000);    // ctrl_raw = 11

/* Need to disable checking on partial writes to get test to pass */

reg32_write(DDR_CR058, 0x01000000);

/Jiri

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi

below I extract the code to initialize ECC on DDR3

reg32_write(DDR_CR057, 0x03000000); // ctrl_raw

reg32_write(DDR_CR000, 0x00000601); // LPDDR2 or DDR3, start

i = 5000;

while (i--);

// ECC enable

// ctrl_raw, if DDR3, set 3, else 0

// init MEM

init_DDR3_ECC();

reg32_write(DDR_CR058, 0x00000000);

This procedure  is OK . for initializing the DDR , we use the instruction STMIA r0!,{r1-r8}

After , I test the DDR with the following procedure

bl ca5_bench_read32
bl ca5_bench_read64
bl ca5_bench_read256
bl ca5_bench_readOffset
bl ca5_bench_readfpu
bl ca5_bench_write32
bl ca5_bench_write64
bl ca5_bench_write256
bl ca5_bench_writefpu

the read procedure are OK , the write procedure  ( ca5_bench_write256 & ca5_bench_writefpu ) are Ok , but the write procedure 32 & 64 bit crahed the board

If you need , I can send you the project or the sources files

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francois,

before write using CPU you have to disable checking on partial writes. In your code you have it enabled back before write.

/Jiri

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

I join ddr.c file

At end of ddr_init2 function  , you can see DDR3 initialization

//Disable the corruption. The ECC codes written to memory will match the new write data written to memory
// init DDR3 MEM
init_DDR3_ECC();
// Allow the ECC codes for the entire user word to be corrupted.

In file cortex_a5_test.s , you have assembler function  that read and write the DDR3 and function that initialize the DDR3

When ECC is enable the following function work

init_DDR3_ECC

ca5_bench_read32

ca5_bench_read64

ca5_bench_read256

ca5_bench_readOffset

ca5_bench_readfpu

ca5_bench_write256

ca5_bench_writefpu

the following function fails and crash the board

ca5_bench_write32

ca5_bench_write64

if you see an error , please tell me , or do you have an example code that enable ECC on DDR3

Br

francois

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

When ECC is disable with interface to 8 bit ( field REDUC= 0) , all function assembler work

Br

francois

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francois,

that is logical. in your code

//Disable the corruption. The ECC codes written to memory will match the new write data written to memory
// init DDR3 MEM
init_DDR3_ECC();
// Allow the ECC codes for the entire user word to be corrupted.

now you write to memory

---------------------

please delete line reg32_write(DDR_CR058, 0x00000000)

you can also check attached code for ECC test.

/Jiri

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

In your ECC test , you use a memtest function .

Could you send me the source of this function , because I would like execute you ECC benchmark

Regards

francois

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

I found the issue about ECC in DDR3

When we initialize the DDR3 with the instruction that write 256 bit in DDR3 ( STMIA r0!,{r1-r9} ) then we cannot rewrite this DDR3 with  instruction that write 32 or 64 bits 

When we initialize the DDR3 with the instruction that write 32 bit in DDR3 ( STR r1, [r0] then it's OK

I modified your testbench ECC and I added a function ecc_32bits_test . in this function I added  assembler function with the following code for you show the issue

ca5_bench_ecc_test

push {r3-r12,r14}

;init parameter

LDR r0,=ReadBase_ADDR

;init limit

LDR r2,=ReadLimit

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r10}

STMIA r0!,{r3-r6}

LDR r0,=ReadBase_ADDR

STMIA r0!,{r3-r4}  ===========> this instruction crash the cortex A5 processor

LDR r0,=ReadBase_ADDR

LDMIA r0!,{r3}

Could you confirm this issue ?

because in this case , we cannot optimize the memset function or we forbidden the 256 instruction in our code when ECC is enable ?

francois

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francois,

attached is memtest.c (validation code).

To solve your issue ensure that DDR_CR058 is set to 0x01000000.

/Jiri

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

Thank you for the code

I join the code for showing the issue

Could  you can integrate this code in your bench for reproducing the issue

BR

francois

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

About ECC on OCRAM , I have another issue

- I have a program where the stack pointer is located in OCRAM . for performance issue , we have activate the MMU on this zone with the parameter Write_Back_Write_allocated, Shareable and we enable the data cache . When I run my program , we have an ecc error ( ECC interrupt) . 

When I change the attribute Write_Back_Write_allocated, Shareable by Non-Cacheable , we have always error

When I change the attribute Write_Back_Write_allocated, Shareable by Device, then my program is ok and we don't have an ECC error

Do you have an idea ?

I tried to initialisze MMU following by ECC or ECC following by MMU , but We have always the same issue

Br

francois

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francois,

Stack pointer is internal register of the core. I think you mean that your stack is located in OCRAM.

What error you talk about 1-bit correctable/noncorrectable error or other error?

MMU setting sharable by device and Write back does not have sense. Please send me you MMU setting.

You are using ASM. I'm not sure if I can help you with asm code.

/Jiri

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi jiri

I will create a project , for reproducing the issue and I will send you

Francois

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi

In this topic , I put a mini project for reproducing the issue about ECC on DDR3

I add in your file ecc_test.c , a function called ecc_32bit_test()

In this function I call an assembler function that crash the board

Could you reproduce this issue ?

rgds

francois

0 Kudos

francoisjuillet
Contributor III

hi

In this topic , I put a mini project for reproducing the issue about ECC on OCRAM

in file benchinit.c , we initialize the MMU and ECC on OCRAM

MMUConfigAndEnable();

ca5_ocram_ecc_stack_init(); -> in this assembler function , I enable the OCRAM ECC on SYSRAM1 , initialize the RAM , copy the stack

I set the MMU on OCRAM with the following parameters

REGION regionOcmc =

{

MMU_PGTYPE_SECTION, START_ADDR_OCMC, NUM_SECTIONS_OCMC,  MMU_MEMTYPE_NORMAL_NON_SHAREABLE(MMU_NON_CACHEABLE, MMU_NON_CACHEABLE), MMU_REGION_NON_SECURE,MMU_AP_PRV_RW_USR_RW,

(unsigned int*)pageTable

};

With this setting when I call the function perfinit thta ccall pmuinit function  , then we have an ECC error

perfinit

pmuinit

push {r0}  -> write at @3f048FEA4 -> data 3F048FF0

pop {r0} -> ECC error at @ 3f048FEA4  , OCMFDR = 0x3F048FF0 0xFFFFFFFF ,OCMFTR=0x0082022F ( EFSYN=0x82,EFMST=0x2,EFW=0, EFSIZ=32 bits , EFPRT =Cacheable, Bufferable,Supervisor mode , data )

When I use the following MMU setting for OCRAM

REGION regionOcmc = { MMU_PGTYPE_SECTION, START_ADDR_OCMC, NUM_SECTIONS_OCMC,  MMU_MEMTYPE_DEVICE_NON_SHAREABLE, MMU_REGION_NON_SECURE, MMU_AP_PRV_RW_USR_RW,

(unsigned int*)pageTable

};

then we don't have any ECC error

Do you have a sequence for initializing ECC on OCRAM when MMU is enable ?

Br

francois

0 Kudos

jiri-b36968
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Francois,

It would require more time. I will focus on it next week (ww9).

/Jiri

0 Kudos