IMX6 Quad sabre lite Boot option with SD card boot and without using NOR flash support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX6 Quad sabre lite Boot option with SD card boot and without using NOR flash support

shanmugamsundar
Contributor IV

Hi,

Currently iam working with imx6 quad sabrelite board ,default uboot.bin file boot from  NOR-FLASH  also kernel image  and rootfs files loaded in SD card.

Now i want to change u.boot file booting option  from NOR-FLASH to SD card and remaining kernel image  and rootfs files also same SD card only.

let me know the procedure for boot from imx6 Quad sabre lite Board in SD card mode only withhout using NOR flash .

This is very urgent kindly update this query ASAP.

Thanks by,

Shan.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

aven_tsao
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Shan:

Please reference to the Chapter 8 system boot of MX6 RM

1. Please change the Boot_MODE{1:0] to 0x10 (internal boot mode) by switch thw SW1.

2. Please set the BOOT_CFG1[7:4] to 0x010x (boot device is SD card) by HW rework on J12  (Boot Mode Switches)

3. Please set the BOOT_CFG2[4:3] to 0x10 (boot from USDHD-3) by HW rework on J12  (Boot Mode Switches)

4. And please also reference the Table 8-15,for the detail settings.

Then you can check the SD3_CLK and SD3_CMD by scope for the boot device setting.

Best regards

Aven

0 Kudos

shanmugamsundar
Contributor IV

hi Aven,

The default sabrelite board uses the ECSPI-1 for the booting, but in our customized board we are using the  ECSPI-4 for booting, my doubt is whether we want to change the corresponding IO pin settings or is there any other special settings needed

Note:-

Plz check the below image and  tell me

The attached Schematic image is taken from IMX6qAICPU-1

can we use that Configuration for SPI -4 Sabrelite board

Screenshot-1.png

Thanks,

shan

0 Kudos

aven_tsao
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

HI Shan:

Sorry for my mistake, I just try the boot mode switch on sarbelite board, and found the boot configure is controlled by efuse. That’s mean change the boot device on sarbelite board is not allow.

Please use md command (md.l 0x020d801c 1) under u-boot command mode to dump the SBMR2 to check the “BT_FUSE_SEL” bit on you board. If the bit [4] is “1”, it’s means the boot option is coontrolled by efuse. And you can’t change the boot device to SD card.

In the SABRE AI board, we use external IO pins for boot configure setting, so you can chsnge the boot device very easy. 

Best regards

Aven

0 Kudos

praveeng
Contributor II

Hi Aven,,

Should we use

1)  OCOTP_CTRL  0x21bC000    OR

2) SRC_SBMR2 (0x020D801C)

to Boot from NOR using EIM??

I have iMX6q Sabrelite Quad

0 Kudos

aven_tsao
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Praveeng:

I’m sorry to say the sabrelite board is not suitable for NOR flash boot from EIM bus.

The reason is some data pins didn’t connect out, so you can’t connect NOR Flash to EIM Bus.

Please reference to below table, the CSI0_DAT4~7 (A+DL mode) and EIM_D20, D24, D24, D29, D30 (A+DH mode) are not connect out on sabrelite board.EIM.jpg

Best regards

Aven

0 Kudos

shanmugamsundar
Contributor IV

Hi Aven,

Ya thanks for your valuable inputs,i am checking the hardware configuration .

By,

Shan

0 Kudos