Can I protect certain areas of memory from being overwritten when loading through the USB Tap?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I protect certain areas of memory from being overwritten when loading through the USB Tap?

Jump to solution
Charlie
Contributor III

We are working with the 56800e 56f8367 chip.

We set up a section of memory in the linker file where we load code for an FPGA.  This is loaded through a SCI port.

In the Classic IDE I was using the Local Hardware Connection to load the chip and this area of the code was left untouched.  However, if I load with the USB Tap, this area of memory gets wiped out.

We have moved to new computers which do not have parallel ports, so I am required to use the USB Tap.  Why there is this difference and if there is anyway to avoid wiping out this memory when using the USB Tap?

Thanks

Charlie

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Charlie
Contributor III

Found a solution.

In the MC56F8367.mem file, it gives the ability to define areas of memory as either readwrite or just read (maybe other things, I didn't really check).  I made those memory addresses read only.

Then when I went to download code, it would throw an error.  I assume it was doing this because it was trying to erase those memory locations and it was blocking itself.  I basically told it to ignore the error in the future and everything is running fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Charlie
Contributor III

Found a solution.

In the MC56F8367.mem file, it gives the ability to define areas of memory as either readwrite or just read (maybe other things, I didn't really check).  I made those memory addresses read only.

Then when I went to download code, it would throw an error.  I assume it was doing this because it was trying to erase those memory locations and it was blocking itself.  I basically told it to ignore the error in the future and everything is running fine.

0 Kudos