Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting to TWR-P1025 using DHCP

zenomaspoli
Contributor III

Hi guys,

does somebody can give some advice about

how to establish a connection between my PC and my twr using the DHC Protocol ?

I've a TWR-P1025 with Linux version 2.6.35.14 (tony@FLEX) .

zeno

0 Kudos
3 Replies

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, it is used to help system administrators to configure system IP address, mask, default gateway and other parametres automaticaly.

DHCP is used, if you do not want to manually configure static IP address in your system by some reason and prefer to configure it automaticaly from DHCP server.

I'm not sure what you mean by "establish a connection between my PC and my twr using the DHC Protocol", please describe the problem in more details.

0 Kudos

zenomaspoli
Contributor III

hi alexander,

i'm a student and the school network works with DHCP, that's why i need to use this protocol.

P1025 mount two ethernet port, I want a connection from either Ethernet port to a host

computer Ethernet port, but i've to pass trought the school nework.

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I do not think it is a good idea to connect custom device to the corporate/school network, because any incorrect configuration of your TWR system may corrupt network and affect your neighbors ability to access internet.

The good practice is to have two network controllers in your PC workstation - one for public (school) network and another - for your custom networking devices debugging. It this case you can connect your TWR board directly to your PC via crossover cable and assign IP addresses as you wish.

Of course, if your network administrator explicitly allowed you to connect your TWR board to his corporate network (school network), than you can do that. In this case I think if will be a good idea to ask network administrator to assign fixed IP address for your TWR system in his DHCP server setup, so the address will not change from day to day and will be always known. This will also allow you to configure this ip address statically in your TWR settings without using dhcp client.

0 Kudos