cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code Warrior and USBDM?

roberthiebert
Contributor IV

Hi All,

I am very new to "C" programming and the MC9S12XDP512, so please bear with me here. I am working on the Free EMS project that uses this processor on their "Jaguar" engine controller board. I also have a USBDM from "Cool-EFI" that I need to use to load a serial monitor S-19 file into the processor before I can load any operational S-19. I have Code Warrior V 5.9.0, build 5294 installed on my Win 7 machine.

Can I use this version of Code Warrior to load the S-19 and if so, what is the step by step procedure?

Thanks,

Robert

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

roberthiebert
Contributor IV

I'm having very limited success with the Cool-EFI BDM and no support from the manufacturer. At this point I would like to start from scratch with a USBDM that will work with Free Code Warrior to install the correct serial monitor program for the MC9S12XDP512. I'm using a PC running Win 7, 64 bit, where do I begin?

0 Kudos

fredcooke
Contributor I

Robert Hiebert wrote:

I'm having very limited success with the Cool-EFI BDM and no support from the manufacturer.

Robert,

I've spoken to Andy and you did none of these things:

1) Email him directly (he checked both of his primary accounts)

2) Post on the forum (I watch this like a hawk)

3) Get into IRC and ask (I'm told by the lurkers that you've not appeared there)

As such it appears to be blatantly untrue that you're receiving "no support from the manufacturer", unless you expect us to read your mind and offer you support without first knowing that you need it! A number of people feel pretty strongly about the fact that you've written like this about Andy here in this unjustified way. Please exhaust 1, 2 and 3 before making such spurious comments in future!

Additionally, you're asking about USBDM on a codewarrior forum. If the USBDM flash burning application does not function, may I suggest that you ask for support through the USBDM channels and thereby assist in making the USBDM project better by supplying feedback. If you insist in using codewarrior to do your work, then please be respectful in your future postings of that nature.

Fred.

0 Kudos

roberthiebert
Contributor IV

I did some more research on the BDM I’m using  (Cool-EFI BDM)

Features (from their web site):

USB powered

Supplies power to target (less than 100 ma)

Works with HCS12(x)

Works with HCS08

Works with Coldfire V1

Works with Code Warrior

Works with Win XP,Win 7 , most Linux

Link to 32 bit driver: USBDM_4_9_5b_Win

Link to more information on BDM: http://usbdm.sourceforge.net

Looking over the sourceforge document USBDM V4.10.6 it looks to me like the Cool-EFI BDM is based on the JS16 based version using the MC9S08JS16CWJ processor.

The schematic USBDM_JS16CWJ.sch.doc seems to match the Cool-EFI board. The PDF documents are located at Minimal HCS08/HCS12CFV1 interface.

From everything I have seen here it looks like this BDM should work with my version of Code Warrior on my 64 bit Win 7 PC and my target MC9S12XDP512 processor, but so far I can’t get Code Warrior to find it.

Now, the strange thing is, after much experimenting, I was able to load a serial monitor program into the MC9S12XDP512 with this BDM using the HCS12 Flash Programmer. The serial monitor program was found here: http://pharos.ece.utexas.edu/wiki/index.php/File:FlashSerialMonitorDP512.zip

I was then able to load the engine controller code .s19 successfully with the boot (load) jumper installed on the board. This is probably all I need for Free EMS, but I want to use the board for other things and load completely different programs, so I need to be able to communicate with it using Code Warrior and the BDM, or some other BDM if necessary.

If I use “device manager” with the USBDM plugged into my PC with a USB cable, but not connected to target, I can find it under “universal serial bus device” > “USBDM interface”.

Properties:

Device type - Universal Serial Bus Device

Manufacturer – Grau Tec

Location – Port_#0002.Hub_#0003

Driver:

Driver Provider – libusb.org

Driver Date – 13/07/2009

Driver Version – 6.1.7600.16305

Digital signer – USB\VID_16D08PID_0567 (libwd1 autogenerated)

If I try a driver update it reports that I have the best driver installed.

I’m at a loss as to where to go from here and would certainly appreciate some guidance.

0 Kudos

Rick_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

hi Robert,

I'm sorry, since I did not use Cool-EFI BDM, I can't give you more suggestion!

0 Kudos

roberthiebert
Contributor IV

Thanks for your suggestions both. So far I'm having no success but I'm beginning to think I may have a hardware problem. I'll keep working on it.

0 Kudos

Rick_Li
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Robert,

I did not use a USBDM from "Cool EFI" before but I would like to give you some suggestion as below:

suppose after install the driver for USBDM, there is "USBDM" list in the connections (the frist step of new project wizard), if there is no this item, then, please select P&E USB BDM Multilink.

please first make sure that CodeWarrior can work together with USBDM. a way to do that is to creating a new project in CodeWarrior for MC9S12XDP512 by using new project wizard (by click File->New Project).

then from menu "Project", click "Make" to build this new created project.

connect the USBDM to your target board and your PC, click "Project"->"Debug". (Please be noted that the right connection should be selected before debug, in left top corner of CW IDE and below project name (such like project.mcp)).

if the new created project can be downloaded and debugged, then, it means that the USBDM works well with CW.

to download your seial monitor S-19 file to the processor, please click "hiwave.exe" to launch the debugger window, click "set connection" from "Component" to set the Processor and the Connection and then "set Derivative..." (from the 4th menu).

then, the debuger should connected to your target board.

at last, from menu "File", click "Load Application" to load your S19 file.

hope it helps!

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

we can use hiwave debugger to burn s19 file to flash:

The method is as below:
1.   Install Codewarrior.
2.   make sure the hardware is well connected with PC. For instance you are using BDM multilink or Cyclone Pro.
3.   open Hiwave debugger “Hiwave.exe” in {Your CW install directory}\prog
4.   then in debugger, go to menu “component”, “set connection…”. In new pop-up small dialog, in the dropdown list, select HC12 and P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro. Click OK to close this dialog.
5.   go to menu “MultilinkCyclonePro”, “device”, select the right device chip.
6.   go to menu “MultilinkCyclonePro”, “connect”, Set the right connection.
7.   go to menu “File”, “Load application…”. Import the .s19 file into debugger. You could have a browse the content at the memory window of the debugger, it should be in coincidence with the s-record file.
8.   Press F5 to run. The code should download into the flash.

0 Kudos