Connection error with USB multilink: TWR-MCF5441X (updated firmware) and CodeWarrior 10.5

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection error with USB multilink: TWR-MCF5441X (updated firmware) and CodeWarrior 10.5

magicmarmot
Contributor I

I inherited a project at work that requires the MCF4551x board for development, so I inherited the tower kit along with it.

New computer, Windows 7.

- CodeWarrior for MCU

Version: 10.5

Build Id:130916

TWR-MCF5441x board updated to

CFV234 OSBDM/OSJTAG device firmware v 31.21 (latest)

All drivers updated from the PEMicro website.

I can see the comm light flashing on the board, but the P&E Connection Assistant pops up showing an error.

Log files attached.

Basically, I create a new barebones "hello world" project, build (no errors), and try to run, and that's when the comm error pops up.

I suspect I have a configuration error somewhere, but I am having a difficult time finding information on just an initial setup and debug session that covers when things don't work.

Any help?

Original Attachment has been moved to: 201311201558_DiagnosticInfo.zip

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

magicmarmot
Contributor I

Okay, a semblance of success.

1.) I had to uninstall and reinstall the PEMicro drivers twice.

2.) I moved the configuration in the tower so the boards were closer together. I was able to reconfigure it back to the farthest-apart connections, so I don't think this had any real impact.

3.) I had to run the second USB cable to the elevator module to give it power. The board by itself seems to work fine with just the one cable, but in the tower, it seems to make a difference.

IMG_20131125_161952_485.jpg

I can now successfully debug using the USB Multilink interface and the OSBDM interface configuration with the basic bare-bones project.

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rob:

Great, I'm glad you are moving forward.

Seems like power supply was your problem. You did not mention the other tower board, so I assumed you only had the MCU main board. But what you did is correct, the power supplied by the mini-USB connector is sometimes not enough and you have to power the system from the elevator.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rob:

I checked your log file and this might be a silly question, but let me ask: Are you trying to debug your board via the mini-USB or with an external P&E debug probe?

In the second case, is this a Universal Multilink (green) or a ColdFire Multilink (blue little one)?

With this information I might try to recreate the issue from my side.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

magicmarmot
Contributor I

Hi Jorge.

The mini-USB that’s on the board. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Rob:

In that case it seems you are selecting the wrong connection.

If you use the on-board mini-USB (OSBDM interface) you need to select it when creating a new project.

Connection.png

And then after building your application with no errors go to the tab "Run -> Debug Configurations" and make sure to select the one that corresponds to your connection, in this case OSBDM. Then click on "Debug".

Debug.png

Also, you need to have the proper jumper configuration. You can refer to the default settings from the user manual, downloadable from the next link:

TWR-MCF5441X Product Summary Page

Here I let you an image with the jumper setting you should have:

TWRBoard.jpg

Please try these steps and let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

magicmarmot
Contributor I

Hi Jorge,

I went through and configured the board as per these instructions. Now when I try to run, I get this message in the console

Starting 3rd party flash programming...

ERR: Warning: Programming algorithm not found for this device.

I am set up for the RAM configuration, not Console_RAM, and the debug configuration is set up for RAM OSBDM.

Attached project, in case it’s of any use.

0 Kudos